Data Stretch Looks Like Another Good Feature That's Coming to RW

I just saw today this data stretch feature that is coming to RW. I think that’ll be very useful for those who have 1gb of data and/or those who have used up the majority of their data in the month and want to just try to make it through the month without having using up any more cellular data.

It’s interesting though that even though I’m on the basic data trial plan that allows me to have my data slowed after I exceed my plan limit (which for me is 1gb), I still didn’t use up my 1gb of cellular data in my previous billing cycle. I’m not sure if I’ve even done this yet when I’ve had this trial plan.

Out of Data after only 4 days

I just now saw this in the app and came here to find out more but a search for data stretch only turns up this one post and there’s no detail or update since December?
This sounds awesome; is it actually coming though?

My guess is YES, since it’s already a menu spot on the app.

I have seen this option in the app as “Coming Soon” for several months.

This feature is a major update, so it’s going to take time to get it right and pass it on to us.

I wouldn’t think so…

The Data Freeze option merely engages a VPN that blocks all traffic save for data needed for the R.W app and services.

This Data Stretch feature, I would surmise, would be the same thing, just a open, but throttled VPN.

I’ve wanted a practical way to throttle bandwidth on my phone since forever. Still waiting.

U can. There are VPN or other apps that can throttle your data speed. Trouble is, you have no idea where or what server that app/service is routing its data through, or who has access to it.

If you home router supports VPN Server mode in its firmware, u can setup a VPN either PPTP or OpenVPN, and set a bandwidth restriction rule to limit speed to say, 1meg.
DDWRT or Tomato custom open source firmwares have tons of advanced options to accomplish this.
U then can use the phones built in VPN support (or OpenVPN connect app) to connect to your home router…no shady unknown servers.

Not practical for what I want to use it for. Needs to be a local solution.

When the Data Stretch is implemented, I would like it to allow us to choose a max. speed from a pick list - 128kbps, 256 kbps, 512 kbps, 1Mbps, 2, 5, 10 Mbps and so on. This would force apps like Youtube to move down to a lower resolution say if you’re listening to music video in the car where one is only interested in the audio. The lowest 144p resolution will use ~60 MB per hours, whereas with no throttling restriction and the Allow HD only on Wifi setting enabled, youtube will play at 480p and use 240 MB per hour. One way you can perhaps throttle your phone now before Data Stretch becomes available is set your phone to 3G or 2G. The max speeds for these settings depend on which partner your phone connects to (The GSM or the CDMA partner).

PS: Youtube has the same audio quality whether set to 144p or 2160p (it’s the video quality that increases the bit rate from the base bit rate. Also for many smartphone users, youtube is often the highest consumer of your monthly data plan.

If this happens for real, then I probably would be playing YouTube videos while I’m driving. I like to listen to on demand programs of my choosing in my car, and I occasionally like to listen to the radio. Right now, I play downloaded content on my phone, which is fine, but if I can stream YouTube at 144p in the car so that I can just hear the audio, I will definitely do that…Maybe I can already do this…I probably should check it out and see what my options are right now.

I just installed the Samsung Max which I understand works similarly to the the now defunct Opera Max. Supposedly it reduces data by ~40% on youtube but at what cost in video or sound quality I don’t know. I like the idea of routing through home VPN on router but my ISP is Carrier NAT so I can’t access my router remotely. (Static IP would be $10/month more). The Samsung app may only work with Samsung phones I’m not sure - I have an S7.

briank101, to access your router remotely, I’d check in your router itself. It likely has an option for Dynamic DNS. There are plenty of free services (though you have to verify you are still using it about once a month), that will do this. You setup a subdomain within one of theirs like XYZ. Then your router will periodically ping (about every 2 days) their server so they know your IP address. You can then reference your system via XYZ.ddns.net (or whatever domain the service you choose uses.)

I use OpenVPN and I can VPN my phone traffic through my own VPN for when I am on public wifi for extra security.