Dead phone Samsung J3 can we restart it

getting_help

What phone do you have? Samsung J3`
What plan are you on?
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? unlimited both

The phone went to safemode we got it out of that. Then it locked did a hard open but the screen is still locked. The phone is only 10 months old and I cant use it. Is there a way to restart it. Is there some way to open screen?

Issue Description

0 Likes

Hi @camilled,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties. Have you tried holding the power button down for an extended period of time (up to two minutes) to see if that forces the phone to reboot?

If that fails, your J3 has a user removable battery. You might try removing the back of the phone, then the battery. Wait 10 seconds or so, then reinsert the battery and try powering up the phone.

2 Likes

Tried both of them, I am not sure if the touch screen is broke ( the screen is not cracked) but it doesn’t move.

0 Likes

Though you have already tried removing the battery, I will suggest that you do that once more. But, this time, with the battery out of the phone, press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds. Then reinsert the battery and try booting back into Safe mode. If the phone will work in Safe mode, it should eventually work outside of Safe mode. If you can access the boot options menu, a factory reset may be your only option to get it working again.

0 Likes

I will try it thank you

0 Likes

No response. How would I go about a factory reset?

0 Likes

Hi @camilled,

Republic’s guidance is here: Factory Reset – Republic Help. You’ll need to use recovery mode.

0 Likes

Nothing worked not factory re set. I think the touch screen is frozen. Is it my imagination but all the years I have been with republic this stuff happens after updates. All my phones have had problems after updates. My biggest complaint about this company. My last phone I blocked the updates I should have this time as well. I have been with this company almost since the start.

0 Likes

Hi @camilled,

I’m sorry to hear even a factory reset failed to breathe life back into your J3!

Regarding updates, which update are you referring to? Republic does update its app, however, I’ve yet to see an app update brick a phone. If, on the other hand, you’re referring to a system update, please know that’s entirely the responsibility of the manufacturer (in the case of your J3 Samsung) not Republic. Sadly, in rare instances, a system update might brick one’s phone.

In any event, when did you purchase the J3? You may have a warranty claim.

2 Likes

Are there simple/difficult ways to disable or help prevent installing Android system updates? Thanks.
…

0 Likes

The best thing you can do is to accept the update, because Android updates patch important security issues. But, accept the update at a time when the phone’s battery has a 60% charge, or more. The last thing you want is for the battery to run out before the update completes. One of the first things you want to do after the update is clear the Android cache.

You cannot stop the update nags.

0 Likes

This is my third phone that had major problems after updates. I don’t know a lot regarding technology, my kids do, and they do not know why I am still with Republic. Because it’s like the programming doesn’t work well. My phones do weird things.

0 Likes

Thank you phone is ten months old. I didn’t pay attention to which updates. There was a couple updates, next day or so it’s not working right and then it freezes up and is useless. This is my biggest complaint of Republic. I guess tomorrow I’ll figure it out.

0 Likes

System updates on your phone are done by the phone’s manufacturer, not by Republic. Republic occasionally offers an update to the Republic app. But, there have not been any reports that I’m aware of that updating the Republic app has caused the freezing issue you describe. Your children are wrong to blame Republic for the issue you are having with your Samsung phone. If the phone is still under warranty, you may want to contact Samsung support for help or a replacement phone.

0 Likes

My friends and family who have the same phone do noy have these problems. If you check my history with Republic I have been with them since the begining.

0 Likes

I’m sure Republic appreciates your patronage. @rolandh provided a link (above) to instructions for a factory reset. Have you attempted the factory reset? If you can do that, it will most likely fix your phone’s problem, if the problem is fixable.

0 Likes

Hi @camilled,

I understand the issue with your Samsung Galaxy J3 not working would be frustrating. At this point, if a factory reset doesn’t fix it nothing short of flashing the phone will work (and that won’t be enough if it’s a hardware error).

Since you’ve been a long-time Republic member; you might like to know that unlike your previous Republic phones (which used modified Android operating systems to make Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service work), your J3 and all Republic 3.0 phones do not use modified operating systems. They are the same North American factory unlocked phones used elsewhere. If it was an operating system update that caused this situation, that update came from Samsung not Republic.

To the extent there is a silver lining here, it’s that your 10-month old J3 is within the one-year manufacturer’s warranty, giving you a potential warranty claim. You will, however, need to have that conversation with Samsung. If you wish to do so, contact information is here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/#contact_us_for_support.

Another potential option would be to see if your local Best Buy has a Samsung store within a store located there. Many Best Buys do and these Samsung stores within a store are staffed by Samsung employees. They may be able to help get your J3 back up and running.

0 Likes

factory reset did not do it

0 Likes

Well, that’s not good news. At this point, it doesn’t sound the phone is recoverable. So, you should check the credit card enhancement perks that come with the credit card you used when you bought the phone. Some credit cards will replace broken cell phones or double the original warranty that comes with the phone. Also, you indicated that the phone is not yet a year old. So, you should also contact Samsung for possible warranty replacement. Unless, of course, the phone doesn’t work because it was dropped and didn’t survive the drop. Samsung won’t replace a phone that is damaged due to drop damage or abuse. Good luck!

0 Likes

closed #20

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer