Dec'16 gone, do we know where Sprint 3.0 service is?

I haven’t been checking back with the forum to see if/when Sprint would get added for 3.0 service. I have a Moto G4 I bought on June 12, 2016 in anticipation of 3.0 BYOP service. I tried the 3.0 service only to find out there is no data available for GSM in Iowa where I live. My Moto G4 is now 6 months old and no cell service. Do we know when I will be able to have RW data service in Iowa?

I figured I’d get an email announcing 3.0 service on Sprint (or at least an update) but so far, no email.

1 Like

Hi @marcf.wy6u48,

This is what we know to date: Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update. No BYOP 3.0 CDMA (Sprint) option as of yet.

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

right now it’s only current customers ordering a CDMA compatible phone form Republic in a area that Republic computers think CDMA (Sprint) would have better coverage than GSM (T-Mobile)

reading though the thread Republic employees refuse to say when (or even if) a BYOD CDMA will be an option

1 Like

reading though the thread Republic employees refuse to say when (or even if) a BYOD CDMA will be an option
Is it refusal to say? Or, perhaps, the answers are not yet known?

I don’t think it matters refuse to say or don’t know still means will not be anytime soon

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. Refuse to say will be interpreted by some as Republic willfully withholding information available to them. If evidence exists for this, I haven’t seen it.

As for whether 3.0 BYOP on Sprint is a when (soon or otherwise) or an if, time will tell. Anything said by any of us is merely speculation.

@drm186 , wish you the best in the New Year, Dr. Doom.

@rolandh , they should know by now whether or not the CDMA SIMS will be BYOP plug & activate. The whole soft launch/testing has mostly been done in a secretive/deceitful manor with tight lips. We know more now than on 11-21 but info is slow in coming.

I do agree there is some possibility the answer is not yet known and causing the CDMA public introduction delay. Would assume an easy BYOP option was in the business plan.

yes I 'm being a bit negative here but I also don’t want to get hopes up for something that may not be come down the road

from what I read in the treads about this is Republic uses a Computer to determine which would be better for the users only from their direct sales (and currently only for current customers) they make it sound like a big deal to convert a GSM SIM to CDMA while simple one to change from CDMA to GSM, they have also down played the concept of BYOD CDMA

I live in an area with good GSM coverage (both in the maps and from 1st person reviews) and therefor would get a GSM based SIM if ordered from Republic, this would not due for me as I need my phone to work at my work where T-Mobile get’s the worst coverage in the building (personal reports and the simple fact that AT&T, Verizon and Sprint all have Repeaters as they have partnered with my work on some projects)

I a bit unhappy on how this is being rolled out as if something where to happen to my current 2.0 phone I would most likely need to jump ship to a different carrier that meats my coverage needs as it sure looks like Republic will want to push GSM on me

They should know by now whether or not the CDMA SIMS will be BYOP plug & activate.

On what facts do you base this statement? BYOP activation of factory unlocked CDMA phones is orders of magnitude more difficult than GSM. That activating the typical GSM phone is a simple matter of tossing in a SIM is an inherent technical advantage of GSM. CDMA lacks this technical advantage.

For a phone to remotely activate on Sprint’s network it must be capable of Sprint’s hands-free activation. Phones built for Sprint’s network (including legacy Republic phones) have Sprint code on the phone that makes this possible. Factory unlocked phones do not. Hell, Sprint itself requires one visit a Sprint store to activate a BYOP phone on their network. Yes, this is a wonderful up sell opportunity for Sprint but I doubt it’s the entire reason for the requirement. It’s not like running down to the local Republic store for CDMA activation is an option.

I’ve no doubt some very able minds at Republic are trying to find a way to surmount these challenges but to say they **should **know by now is over the top in my opinion. CDMA is just harder than GSM period.

The whole soft launch/testing has mostly been done in a secretive/deceitful manor with tight lips.
That information during soft launch is being carefully controlled I don’t deny but deceitful is, again, in my opinion over the top. The definition of deceitful suggests purposeful dishonesty. If you have evidence of Republic’s dishonesty on soft launch, please produce it.

I do agree there is some possibility the answer is not yet known and causing the CDMA public introduction delay. Would assume an easy BYOP option was in the business plan.
I think there’s more than some possibility. Absent evidence to the contrary, which I’ve yet to see anyone produce, I’m willing to give Republic the benefit of the doubt that they’ve told us that which they’re currently able to. No business reveals every last detail in its business plan nor all of the deliberations involved in making a business decision. Expecting that of Republic is both unrealistic and unreasonable (my opinion). One is free to trust or not to trust. The assumption that an easy BYOP CDMA option was in the business plan presupposes that an easy BYOP CDMA option exists, which isn’t necessarily the case.

Finally, I’m uncertain what the repeated references to testing mean. My Moto X Pure is operating on Sprint right now. I assure you 3.0 on CDMA indeed does work. From my point of view Republic is bringing 3.0 to CDMA incrementally as each individual piece is ready. The alternative would be to wait for everything to be seemingly ready then launch all of it simultaneously. This is precisely the approach taken with 3.0’s launch on GSM. As I recall that didn’t go entirely swimmingly. Trying something different with 3.0 on CDMA makes some sense to me.

1 Like

@rolandh ,

I was attempting to lend some support to to your not yet known? Added some thoughts and simple assumptions/opinions. No RW negativity we haven’t heard several times before in various threads and none intended.

That information during soft launch is being carefully controlled I don’t deny but deceitful is, again, in my opinion over the top. The definition of deceitful suggests purposeful dishonesty. If you have evidence of Republic’s dishonesty on soft launch, please produce it.

We have been told that RW is selling 3.0 GSM service/phones to members, substituting 3.0 CDMA service and doing so purposely with no apparent option to opt out of the soft launch. I call a diamond a diamond. Rest my case.

The assumption that an easy BYOP CDMA option was in the business plan presupposes that an easy BYOP CDMA option exists, which isn’t necessarily the case.

I believe a vast majority of members who have followed the 3.0 introduction have presumed CDMA would be available for BYOP or for those who’s GSM coverage wasn’t satisfactory. That’s one reason people have been holding onto their RW & BYOP phones after finding GSM didn’t work. There was never any hint from RW that those phones would not be able to activated on the CDMA network. If indeed the phones do need to be shipped to RW for activation most of use would expect a easy, low cost and fast turn around option to take care of the member’s activation. That would be a relatively easy BYOP CDMA option.

Finally, I’m uncertain what the repeated references to testing mean. My Moto X Pure is operating on Sprint right now. I assure you 3.0 on CDMA indeed does work

I recall reading the term test/testing in a reply by a RW employee. So it works and no need for further testing. What’s the hold up, an easy affordable BYOP CDMA activation option or the required logistics?

This is precisely the approach taken with 3.0’s launch on GSM. As I recall that didn’t go entirely swimmingly. Trying something different with 3.0 on CDMA makes some sense to me.

Most issues were do to lack of coverage partially do to RW’s coverage check and change to the 14 day return policy.

Peace & Love.

Just as a second point of data, I recently purchased a G4 from Republic. It came with Sprint, so they are indeed shipping such phones.

1 Like

If you are shipped a CDMA activated 3.0 phone from RW and you want to change to GSM, do you have to return the phone to RW or just put in a GSM sim and presto you are on T-Mo? If you can’t we are back to phones locked to RW.

My understanding is that Republic has a non-return way to do CDMA —> GSM but NOT the opposite. That’s just rumor though, I haven’t actually seen this firsthand.

1 Like

As a check to see if Sprint service is even feasible on your G4, you might try running it through the Ting | compatibility check.

For what it’s worth, Ting’s compatibility checker offers to activate my Moto X Pure on Sprint. No choice of GSM coverage is offered despite the MXP’s GSM capability and excellent GSM (as well as CDMA) coverage in my area. Sounds a lot like a service provider making the choice for me. Or, perhaps, Ting sees that it’s already on Sprint via Republic?

I can assure you that a Republic 3.0 phone on Sprint is in no way locked to RW. My Moto X Pure is on Sprint, however, I’ve swapped both a Three (UK) SIM and a TMO SIM in and used the phone on those GSM networks with no problem.

Moving the MXP to another CDMA (Verizon for example) network is a different ballgame. CDMA (unlike GSM) ties the phone itself (not just the SIM) to the network. It’s not possible for a phone to be activated on multiple CDMA networks simultaneously. The ability to move service between service providers merely by swapping the SIM is among GSM’s inherent advantages over CDMA as a technology.

1 Like

@rolandh

If your device is already active on Sprint, the compatibility checker will show only CDMA compatibility (probably because they can make the sale and move you over in a couple keystrokes, rather than sell/ship you a GSM SIM card and go through the activation process). I tested this with a couple Nexus 6 MEID’s, one active on Sprint, and one completely inactive. The Sprint active MEID only offers CDMA coverage. The inactive MEID offers both CDMA and GSM options.

In any case, I was just trying to offer a bit of clarity to the OP that activating his device on CDMA might/might not be possible/achievable.

1 Like

In any case, I was just trying to offer a bit of clarity to the OP that activating his device on CDMA might/might not be possible/achievable.
What does that mean? The G4 is a CDMA/GSM phone supported by all the major carriers. The discussion is about CDMA/GSM with Republic, not in general, isn’t it? The Ting checker would seem to have nothing to do with this.

Yes, the phone is CDMA/GSM compatible, but is it Sprint compatible without extraordinary activation measures? The compatibility checker should help confirm/dispel that. I would hope that RW might one day offer the same BYOD options for CDMA as a competitor MVNO using the same cellular carriers. The OP has a phone that he/she has held for 6 months waiting for RW CDMA. I was attempting to help the OP assess the possibility that help may be coming.

Edit: Sprint lists the Moto G4 in their list of BYOD devices (Bring Your Own Phone | BYOD | Sprint), so it seems likely that RW just needs to decide whether to support CDMA BYOD and build/release the interface to make it happen.

1 Like

If your device is already active on Sprint, the compatibility checker will show only CDMA compatibility (probably because they can make the sale and move you over in a couple keystrokes, rather than sell/ship you a GSM SIM card and go through the activation process). I tested this with a couple Nexus 6 MEID’s, one active on Sprint, and one completely inactive. The Sprint active MEID only offers CDMA coverage. The inactive MEID offers both CDMA and GSM options.
My MXP is activated on Sprint via Republic, so was curious if that might be the reason. I merely took the opportunity to point out that a service provider choosing one’s coverage for them (which I don’t necessarily agree with any provider doing) isn’t exactly unheard of. That piece wasn’t aimed at you specifically.

I certainly have no objection to that.

Message an
Expert customer