Dec'16 gone, do we know where Sprint 3.0 service is?

So…this opens up a can of worms…

I have the Moto X Pure (bought from Best Buy) activated with Republic via GSM BYOP SIM.

Ting’s compatibility checker gives me the option of choosing GSM or CDMA coverage…no “bring it to our store to activate”, just order a CDMA SIM.

So…what’s the holdup Republic? Not sure if this is a valid test because I didn’t actually follow through with activation, but it would appear that BYOP via a CDMA SIM would be possible.

Hmm, don’t know for certain but your screen shot makes me wonder how accurate Ting’s compatibility check tool is. According to your screen shot, your MXP is capable of only 4G LTE on Ting GSM, which should be nonsense.

I can assure you that a Republic 3.0 phone on Sprint is in no way locked to RW. My Moto X Pure is on Sprint, however, I’ve swapped both a Three (UK) SIM and a TMO SIM in and used the phone on those GSM networks with no problem.

Ting…

Can a device be active on CDMA and GSM at the same time?
Certain devices like the Nexus 5 can have lines of service active on both Ting CDMA and Ting GSM simultaneously. Each of those services, however, will have their own phone number and $6 monthly device fee, and their usage will be combined into a single monthly rate. Switching from one service to another on your device would require nothing more than swapping in and out SIM cards.

@rolandh ,

Was the TMO SIM from RW? If not have you tried swapping in a RW GSM card?

FYI, if you log in to your Ting account and attempt to activate a CDMA card you get this.

Your device is compatible with Ting.

You will have access to the following services.

• 2G
  • 3G
  • 4G LTE

Dig further.

The Official Ting Activation Guide – Help center

Activating a CDMA BYOD Device with a New Number – Help center

Ballgame not so different and RW’s up to bat. Now hit that HR and disprove the naysayers.

@williamo.vkbg0s,

Was the TMO SIM from RW? If not have you tried swapping in a RW GSM card?

No it was a TMO SIM card. I have no intention of swapping in a Republic GSM SIM because I don’t know what the affect of the interaction between Republic’s 3.0 app, a Republic GSM SIM and a phone activated on Republic CDMA would be. Why don’t you try it and let us know.

Dig further.

The Official Ting Activation Guide – Help center

Ballgame not so different and RW’s up to bat. Now hit that HR and disprove the naysayers.

Where in any of that does it say that a phone may be active on two ***CDMA ***networks simultaneously. If you’re suggesting I need to dig deeper, I suggest you read what I wrote more closely. Note I did not say that a phone activated on Republic CDMA cannot be moved to another CDMA network, I said it was a different ballgame because a single phone cannot be active on multiple CDMA networks simultaneously.

I would also suggest that comparing a blended WiFi/cell service like Republic’s to a pure cell service like Ting is not exactly apples to apples. If this were easy, Republic would have already done it because doing so would be in their business interest.

@rolandh ,

Why don’t you try it and let us know.

My X Pure is unable to currently be activated on RW’s 3.0 CDMA. If I ordered another one from RW in the hopes of being included in the soft launch doubt RW would consider my GSM coverage poor. Do you live in an area of **poor **RW GSM coverage or did RW send you the CDMA activated X Pure to test?

**I’m so sorry. **I didn’t read that entire ballgame post though enough. Should have used this as my reference instead.

The assumption that an easy BYOP CDMA option was in the business plan presupposes that an easy BYOP CDMA option exists, which isn’t necessarily the case.

RW should be able to accomplish this too and disprove the naysayers.

jacob5burton wrote:

s opens up a can of worms…

So…what’s the holdup Republic? Not sure if this is a valid test because I didn’t actually follow through with activation, but it would appear that BYOP via a CDMA SIM would be possible.

In retrospect, I’m sorry I opened this can of worms.

While technically it may not seem there would be much of a challenge to bringing BYOD CDMA to **some **of the phones, it’s probably not a simple business decision. If you offer customers a choice, you have to be prepared that some of those customers will choose poorly. You would need the support infrastructure to deal with those instances, adding to all the other stuff they need to support (legacy phones/plans, new phones/plans, Wi-Fi specific issues, etc…).

1 Like

@williamo.vkbg0s

I swear you have a very active imagination, at best in school the words gifted were whispered. Then growing pains come about, puberty, first loves, well maybe not everyone but I sure did have all that. I just have to ask"does it hurt"?, thinking all this about CDMA. Do you make it up as you go or where you do your best thinking, wait for a splash to hit the brown eye and get another brain fart . I really don’t know where you come up with this balderdash! Maybe some time off in a quiet place to gather a new direction, because until anyone from RW divulge information it means nothing. Wasted air or type in this case, maybe lay off the Dos Equis or just not so many on a party weekend. **** ********* *****

*** ~~ßocephous™ ***

1 Like

My X Pure is unable to currently be activated on RW’s 3.0 CDMA. If I ordered another one from RW in the hopes of being included in the soft launch doubt RW would consider my GSM coverage poor. Do you live in an area of **poor **RW GSM coverage or did RW send you the CDMA activated X Pure to test?

I’m blessed with reasonably good coverage from either Republic’s GSM or CDMA network partner. In my general area (greater Fort Lauderdale), I’d say the GSM partner’s coverage is superior. That said, closest to my home, since lighting up their 4G LTE network, Sprint is probably a wee bit better. I will say prior to lighting up that 4G LTE network, Sprint’s coverage was abysmal and this kept me from becoming a Republic member longer than otherwise would be the case.

I’m uncertain why but Republic’s computer blessed me with an MXP on CDMA. I already have 3.0 phones in my household on GSM, so I’m thankful for that. In addition to giving me the opportunity to experiment, it provides some network redundancy. This is not a bad thing in hurricane prone South Florida.

Depending on how interested in a CDMA phone one is during this soft launch phase; one could always try ordering a phone from Republic that has been known to ship for others with CDMA coverage. I obviously have a Moto X Pure. Others, I know are using the Moto G4 and Moto G4 PLUS on CDMA. I think I may have seen reference to the Nexus 5X and possibly the Nexus 6P shipping with CDMA coverage as well. Please understand all of this is personal experience or the personal experience of others. Republic, to date, does not say which phones ship with what coverage. I fully appreciate this is frustrating for many (myself included), however, I’m doing my best to remain open minded regarding Republic’s rationale for doing so. Worst case scenario, one works with Republic via help ticket if one ends up with a phone that doesn’t work for them. Failing that working out, one returns the phone using Republic’s Money Back Guarantee. The gamble is the cost of initial shipping. Furthermore, we know some phones currently sold by Republic lack the hardware capability to be used on CDMA networks. These are:

1. Huawei Ascend 5W
  2. Moto Z
  3. Moto Z Play
  4. Samsung Galaxy J3
  5. Samsung Galaxy S6

RW should be able to accomplish this too and disprove the naysayers.

By no means am I saying this cannot be done. I have no doubt Republic is expending considerable effort to try to make it so. It’s in their absolute business interest to do so. I do take issue with assertions that it’s easy for Republic to do so. Were that the case, I’m confident it would already be done. That others may or may not be able to do so isn’t necessarily relevant to Republic’s circumstances. Republic’s app based blended WiFi/cell technology must be factored into the equation.

I’m uncertain why but Republic’s computer blessed me with an MXP on CDMA

Let me try to make my question more clear. Did you purchase the X Pure that’s currently on 3.0 CDMA from RW and did it come with the CDMA card when originally shipped to you. Asking because of reading that Ambassadors may be included in the testing of new products and due to a previous post by @seanr when he indicate 3.0 CDMA phones were only being sent to members with poor GSM coverage.

I do take issue with assertions that it’s easy for Republic to do so.

Wait and see is all most of can do. I’ve seen absolutely no official information as to how 3.0 CDMA phones are/will be activated other than at this time phones supposedly need to be shipped back to install a CDMA card. To me and many others that doesn’t mean squat. You may be privy to information and know more leading to your comments? Providing a link to what other MVNOs are able to do and suggesting RW should be able to do the same are not assertions.

Agreed. Simply pointing out that Sprint itself is NOT INCAPABLE of doing OTA’s from an MVNO. It’s possible. Not holding my breath, but possible.

@williamo.vkbg0s

I think we all know @rolandh enough to tell it like it is usually but I am thinking ambassadors are bound by the same constraints as a RW employee to silence. If not a loose lipped ambassador can get RW in a legal bailywick letting the cat out of the bag early. If he wa to know, but now we will never know that will we Roland!

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Hi @bocephous,

You may be overestimating the extent of the information Republic shares with its Ambassadors. In any event, all I’m trying to do is help to the best of my ability. @old.man expressed concerns about phones activated on Republic CDMA effectively being locked to Republic. I wanted to reassure him and others reading that is not the case.

@williamo.vkbg0s, we are all free to believe what we want. I think I know enough about the technology generally to know that activating any phone on any CDMA network involves more than installing a SIM. Just like SIMs in their Republic legacy phone predecessors, SIMs in Republic 3.0 phones activated on CDMA supply access to Sprint’s 4G LTE network nothing more.

The phone itself (not just the SIM as with GSM) must be activated on the CDMA network. Can that be done remotely under certain circumstances, yes. Can it be done under Republic’s current circumstances, apparently no. Will that change at some point, I hope so but time will tell. That Ting is able to do so with some factory unlocked phones doesn’t tell us any more about Republic’s circumstances than the fact that Sprint itself does not do so.

As for my long-winded earlier reply, it’s my best effort to share my personal experience and the experience of others I know of for those wanting to acquire a Republic 3.0 phone on CDMA today as opposed to tomorrow.

1 Like

Hey @williamo.vkbg0s

A little late to the party but let me assure you @rolandh is spot on in his assessment of the situation.

I have a MXP that I used for awhile but realized the GSM carrier was not good for me because I happen to reside in a small pocket of coverage that produces a “fair” (=0) coverage at home, even though my area has overall good to excellent GSM coverage. I have since returned to my beloved X2 while I await 3.0 CDMA availability.

When I first heard about the Soft-Launch I was so exited, but my hopes were dashed when I was told I could not move to CDMA on the MXP at this time. And no matter how much I pleaded and begged to be included, it was simply out of their(staffs) hands and beyond their control. Furthermore, I inquired if I did buy a “new” 3.0 phone, could I request the CDMA variant…again, the answer was no.

I think 2016 was a great year here at RW and I am hoping 2017 will be the same. Due to recent circumstances in my circle, I think I am going to migrate back to the MXP and deal with the home coverage issue, and hope the power (wifi) stays on long enough for 3.0 CDMA to go GA.

Just my $0.02

1 Like

A little late to the party but let me assure you @rolandh is spot on in his assessment of the situation.

My take, his assessment is spot on for the current state of 3.0 CDMA during the soft launch.

I’ve never claimed to be speaking to anything other than the current situation. I’m a firm believer in one day at a time. The past cannot be changed, though we can learn from it. What the future holds none of us truly know. I do my best to stay out of the speculation game.

1 Like

I’ve read the thread but I don’t see how running CyanogenMod (now LineageOS) or other modified ROM will help in getting a phone activated on Republic CDMA. Republic still needs to activate the phone. One would also need to acquire an appropriate SIM for 4G LTE access on Sprint’s network with a Republic 3.0 phone. To date, these SIMs are available nowhere to purchase for use in a BYOP phone.

I’m all for one being able to do what one wants with one’s phone including running modified ROMs, if that’s one’s choice. That said (and I could be wrong), I don’t see Republic ever explicitly supporting use of modified ROMs on its network. Tolerance and Community support is likely the best that can be hoped for.

I have the moto g4 and am switching to Cricket which runs on ATT. I put the cricket sim card in and it works just fine. I can’t deal with T mobiles non coverage and Republics lack of response.

Message an
Expert customer