Default SMS app: Why no Google option (Voice or Hangouts)?

texting

I’ve tried using Republic Anywhere as the default SMS app on my phone (Moto X Pure Edition, CDMA, Android 6.0). But, two things I dislike:

• It doesn’t use my Google Voice number for outgoing texts
  • The desktop Anywhere client can’t connect from my workplace (I’m guessing because the port is closed) so, I’m confined to using my phone and lose the convenience of using a real keyboard.
    So, I’m leaving Anywhere behind until it works like Google Voice.

The only problem is, I can’t set Google Voice as the default SMS app on my phone. Neither it nor Google Hangouts is offered in the available selections.

I don’t know; maybe these are Android or Google issues and I’m barking up the wrong tree.

But, if I could just have an SMS app like Google Voice that I can use with my GV number on my phone and on my desktops at home AND at work, I’d be satisfied again.

It doesn’t use my Google Voice number for outgoing texts

No, it wouldn’t. It would use your Republic number, as it is a Republic product.

The only problem is, I can’t set Google Voice as the default SMS app on my phone. Neither it nor Google Hangouts is offered in the available selections.

Both True. Neither GV nor Hangouts support SMS other than with the GV number. Therefore it can not be the default app on your phone. True for all carriers.

By design Anywhere doesn’t use one’s Google Voice number. The intent is to enable use of one’s Republic number on devices other than their Republic phone.

I’m sorry to hear the Anywhere app isn’t getting along with your workplace’s network. If the needed port(s) are being blocked, there’s not much Republic might do to work around it. It would be a matter for your workplace’s IT folks. Does the Anywhere desktop app work as expected when connected to networks other than your work network?

Indeed, this is an Android issue not a Republic one. I don’t believe it’s ever been possible to use Google voice as the default messaging app. As for Hangouts, it was possible for a time but my understanding is Google has removed the functionality from the app.

Only Google will provide a solution that allows messaging using a Google Voice number.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer