Degraded (non-existent?) 3G Cell Service....Is Republic Trying to push me off my beta plan?

What phone do you have? Moto X 2G, about 2 years of use

What plan are you on? Beta plan, beleove they call it 1.0 where I get unlimited voice, text and 3G cell data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, unlimited 3G cell data

Issue Description

My cell coverage is virtually non-existent and when it works, it’s horribly slow. Feel like my service has been degraded and feels like Republic may be throttling my cell usage to get me to switch to a new plan (currently plan is unlimited everything for $30 month). I typically use WiFi but whenever my use requires connection to a cell tower my phone is virtually useless.

Any thoughts on what may be at the root of my problem? It it the underlying Sprint network associated with 1.0 plans? Is it the absence of available 3G service (everything is now 4G+)? One suggestion is that there may be deterioration of my phone but it has less than 2 years of use…

Thoughts?

It might be. I will say where I’m at in South Florida, Sprint’s 3G service has a well deserved reputation for being shall we say less than stellar. It’s so bad that I avoided becoming a Republic member until 4G was available. That said, you might try the following:

Restart your phone.

Perform a VoIP Reset:

Tap the Phone icon.
Tap the Dialer icon.
Dial *#*#8647#*#*
The dialer will disappear. If an activation screen appears, wait for the process to finish, then tap GREAT THANKS!.
The Republic Wireless notification icon may disappear briefly then reappear. If the icon does not reappear after one minute, restart your phone.

Update the PRL (Preferred Roaming List):

Tap Apps.
Select Settings.
Under System, select System Update.
Select Update PRL.
After the update is complete, tap OK.

Wipe Sprint Settings:

Open the Phone app.
Dial ##72786#
If prompted, tap Yes to confirm. Please do not be concerned by any warning. No harm will come to personal data stored on your phone. Despite said warning, this step is nothing more than a refresh of your phone’s credentials with Sprint’s servers.

Completing the next steps are crucial or your phone will not work on cellular:

Tap Apps.
Select Settings.
Under System, select System Update.
Select Update Profile.
After the update is complete, tap OK.

Your phone should automatically restart after completing the Profile update. If not, please manually restart your phone.

While not some grand conspiracy, Sprint has been aggressively redeploying 3G bandwidth to LTE. This effectively both reduces coverage and capacity. This is a purely a business decision on their part. The way networks are ranked, reviewed and reported is based on their LTE coverage. In addition, as Sprint is trying to move to VoLTE (to move completely away from CDMA) they need to make their LTE coverage more robust.

But Republic keeps selling me 3G service. Shouldn’t I be “grandfathered” to LTE and be able to maintain my plan?

You have the option to upgrade to 4G service on your phone. Do I think Republic owes you anything as far as grandfathering? No, I don’t. Times move on. Cars come with new options that cost more. Cable has DVRs, which cost more. Refrigerators have new options that cost more. Republic has a 4G plan that you can select should you choose.

Cool. Thanks. Chill.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.