Delay needed before connecting to Wifi

What phone do you have? Moto X4

What plan are you on? My Choice + 3GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data, Talk and Text

When driving, I often come in range of Comcast hotspots when I stop at a traffic light. When it sees them, my phone dutifully disconnects from cell data and begins connecting to the hotspot. Then the light changes and I drive away - out of range of that hotspot. It takes the phone another minute to realize that the hotspot is gone and starts switching back to cell data. That leaves me with two or three minutes without any network access at all (this takes a terrible toll on my Words with Friends games at the stoplights).

Is there a way to cause my phone to wait five minutes after it sees a hotspot before connecting to it so I’m not hopscotching around while I drive?

I’m not aware of a way to do that. In most cases the recommendation is to “forget” the network so your phone won’t auto connect and instead connect manually (and then forget again) when you purposefully want to use those networks.

Now, if you’re referring to the automatic new feature of connecting to verified wifi hotspots, that’s great question. There is a solution that I can think of, but first, let me know if you have bluetooth in your car.

I was having the same issue, mostly as a passenger, connecting to Xfinity hotspots, which I use regularly. I installed the Drive Fi app DriveFi: An application to prevent "Drive-by WiFi connections" which was developed by a fellow republic wireless member, @bitflung. Works great for me on the G4.
Available in Play Store DriveFi is now available the Google Play Store as update.

What model phone are you using it on?

G4 and G4PLUS

I have suffered this problem as well.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.