Delayed delivery of text messages (SMS)

What phone do you have? MOTO E (2nd gen)
What plan are you on? Republic 2.0
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data & talk & text

Issue Description

If my phone is off or in airplane mode, and someone sends me a text msg, I will not receive the message for a couple of days. During those days, I send and receive other text messages through both wifi & cell. This has been happening for the past two or three weeks. My Republic wireless apps have been up to date, and I’m not sure what else to try.

I’m sorry you’re having this issue. To eliminated the possibility that a third-party app is at fault, you might try starting the phone in Safe mode and using it for a few days to see if the problem persists. If it goes away, suspect a third-party app. That’s a long shot, though. Doesn’t really sound like a third-party app issue.

See this thread for more help.

If you don’t fix the problem, please let us know so we can help figure this out.

I was having the same difficulty/difficulties with my MotoX 2nd Gen phone. I posted about it, and it was suggested that I install Republic Anywhere (app), and use it instead of the stock “Messenger”. I was reluctant to do it, but did, and have not had any issues.

Hi @ericl.4vciv3,

Do you live in an area where cellular coverage is a challenge? Here’s why I ask: On our legacy phones (including the Moto E 2nd Gen), we first send the text message by data - if your phone is on Wi-Fi or has a cellular data connection it will receive the text message. If the phone is off, on airplane mode then it doesn’t have access to data. When that method of delivering the message fails, the message delivery moves to the traditional method using the cellular voice channel. At that point, if you don’t have a cellular connection, you will not get the text message. If you move into an error with cellular coverage before the text message times out, you will receive it.

So it would be quite possible, if you’re in an area with no cellular coverage, to disable data (airplane mode or phone turned off) miss a message, re-enable data (turn the phone on and connect to Wi-Fi) and send and receive text messages but not receive the missing one that has already failed to the cellular voice channel. But later, when you move to an area with cellular coverage before the failed text message times out, it will be delivered to the phone.

As @jamesr.cqtjca pointed out, switching to Republic Anywhere as your messaging app would help with this issue, because Republic Anywhere delivers your text messages over data, so the messages would never permanently fail to the cellular channel.

Problems sending and delivering SMS

Hi all! Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Republic Anywhere some time ago but actually prefer the native messaging app because it is quite a bit faster on my (older) phone, so I’d like to use that if possible. That being said, I’ll switch to that app if that’s the only solution to this problem.

That explanation makes sense about the poor coverage issue, but I live in an area with good cell phone coverage, so I don’t think that’s the problem here.

I should also add that this is a recent issue… I had never had this happen in the previous year and a half that I had Republic. I don’t know if anything has changed recently?

I recently have also had some delayed receipt of text messages on my Moto X (2nd gen). I know of one specific instance where I received the text a day later. I was in cell area when the message came in but didn’t receive it until the next day at my home on WiFi.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.