Device MR Progress Report 6/6/16

We hope you all had a relaxing weekend. Here’s the latest update on the Moto E (1st Gen.).

The internal dogfood on the phone is wrapping up, and we wanted to share the findings with you. We have seen some memory space issues with the Lollipop build on the phone. The Lollipop build is pretty big, and combined with the way that Lollipop optimizes all the apps to run when it starts up, creates some memory space challenges.

So, what does that mean for you?

If you are going to upgrade to Lollipop on the Moto E (1st Gen.), we would advise you get an SD card for your phone to move your media and apps to. This won’t completely solve the issue because some apps can’t run from the SD card, and when apps are updated from the Play Store, they move back to the phone, but it is a temporary fix for creating more storage on the phone. Another option (or as well) is to pare down the apps you really need on the phone. If you are like me, outside of my “go to” apps, I download a new app, look at it once or twice and then forget about it. So, now is a good time to take stock of the apps you have installed and need. Our advice is to uninstall the ones you don’t use as they will take up valuable space when Lollipop arrives.

This is not a Republic specific problem, but is an issue across the board for Lollipop. Lollipop has a larger footprint than KitKat, and there is a large increase in the size of Google Mobile Services apps. This is especially challenging with a small memory footprint such as the 4GB Moto E (1st. Gen). It hasn’t been as much of an issue on the other phones as they have more memory.

We still feel that the calling and texting performance of the phone has been significantly improved, and that’s why we are pushing ahead with the update, but we are going to make the update optional on launch and see how the update looks.

So, what are the next steps?

We have to incorporate one final round of Android Security patches. Android is releasing updates on a more frequent basis, and in order to make it through Google Certification, we have to include them. We will do a round of regression tests, and prepare the build for the lab. When the phone enters Slate, we submit to Google certification as well, so we are hammering to get this done in the next couple of weeks.

Ok, so when is Lollipop going to happen? We will go through the normal steps:

Integrating newer Android Security patches: About 2 weeks.

Regression Testing: A week or two.

Slate: One week for lab preparation

Lab Entry: 2 weeks for lab certification

Soak : 1 week for soak

Rollout will start the week following the soak. These are tentative timings, but we are pushing to accelerate them if we can.

We appreciate your patience, and we’ll publish another update in a couple of weeks. I hope this level of detail is useful.

As always, here’s the full back catalog of past updates:

• Week 1
  • Week 2
  • Week 3
  • Week 4
  • Week 5
  • Last update of 2015
  • First update of 2016
  • Week 8
  • Week 9
  • Week 10
  • Week 11
  • Week 12
  • Week 13
  • Week 14
  • Week 15
  • Week 16
  • Week 17
  • Week 18
  • Week 19
  • Last Update

[If the OS release process is new to you, please see this PWK blog post for some background on what goes into the OS release process.]

Have a great week.

As always, stay WiFi my friends.