Different plans = Different towers?

A friend who has Republic told me that if I upgraded from the basic (cheapest) plan, that I would get better coverage (reception) I often have no reception when I’m in Central MN… He’s under the impression that different plans use different towers (ie Verison , T mobile etc). Is this true?

Yes, Republic now uses TMobile and Sprint depending on the plan and which phone you have purchased.

Note that TMobile may or may not have better coverage for you so be sure to enter your address in their coverage map. Any coverage area showing less then good or excellent, will have call issues. Make sure you zoom in for the areas on the map that are most important to you.

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Republic 3.0 does use a different underlying provider (GSM backed by T-Mobile)(along with unlock unmodified GSM Phones and they are working to have Republic original underlying provider (CDMA via Sprint) to 3.0 for CDMA compatible phones and they are still the backbone for 1.0 and 2.0 Custom ROM phones

To be clear, changing the plan on the phone that you have, will not impact the coverage you get. What the others are referencing, is the possibility of being on a different carrier based on a different phone, not based on the plan that you signed up for.

1 Like

IOW if you upgrade to a 3.0 phone/service your coverage may differ.

So, my Moto X 2nd gen, won’t get T-mobile coverage regardless of the plan I have? Correct or ??

That’s correct. All of the legacy phones (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) are Sprint only.

1] The Custom ROM Moto X 1st, 2nd, Moto E 1st, 2nd, Moto G 1st and 3rd will always have CDMA Sprint,

2] The Huawei Ascend 5W, Samsung Galaxy J3, S6, Moto Z, and Z play will always be GSM T-Mobile [GSM only radios]

3] For BYOD phones at this time [and maybe always] will be GSM T-Mobile

4] CDMA capatible phone bought from Republic most likely will be GSM T-Mobile but if Republic computers think CDMA Sprint Will have better coverage for current customers then it my be CDMA Sprint

My wife and I both have the Moto G4. I bought mine on eBay, she bought hers from republic wireless. We are traveling and finding that my coverage is much better than hers- for example, in Missoula Montana I have full coverage but she is on roaming. Is she on the Sprint network and am I on T-Mobile? If so, is there a way to get her on T-Mobile?

Hi @thomash.fhswty,

The first step is to determine which network for certain her phone is on. To do so, open the Phone app and dial *#*#786#*#* as if making a call but do not hit send. If this produces a SprintDM menu, her phone is provisioned with Sprint. Otherwise, her phone is already provisioned with Republic’s GSM partner (whom you’ve correctly identified). Please let us know and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction.

3 Likes

Very possible, when purchased from republic, they pick what they think is best for your zip, while the BYOD will always be GSM

Message an
Expert customer