Discontinued product: Extend Home Adapter

It is with regret that Republic Wireless announces the discontinuation of the sale of the Extend Home adapter from our online store. We greatly appreciate the support of those who are currently enjoying our Extend Home feature and the interest of those who have asked about its availability in recent days.

O.K., I’ll ask, is there a commitment to continue the feature for those of us that have the adapter?

1 Like

Hi @royrose,

I don’t think you’ll ever find me making a statement that we commit to anything forever, however, I think if you’ll look at our history, you’ll find that we have always done our best to do the right thing for our members, and that has included supporting products that other service providers would have stopped supporting. We still have members using the DEFY XT, a phone that was sold in 2012 and operates on Android 2.3. We have allowed users who wish to do so to continue to use Republic Anywhere, even after we’ve stopped developing it. We’ve never been particularly aggressive about taking features or products away from our members.

We have removed the Extend Home adapter from the store because we are at a point where we must consider ending the Extend Home service, and it would not be right to keep selling a product that users may not feel they’ve gotten their value from if the service has to end. At this time, we continue to support the Extend Home service. If/When the time comes that we can no longer do so, we will give advance notice so our members can prepare and adjust.

9 Likes

Well, I guess I can’t offer to sell my old one here.

What happened to the day’s where there was talk of extending EH’s capabilities?

For those who like having their cell phone connecting to one’s cordless home system… there are BluTooth phone systems out there that do pretty much the same thing… as long as one’s cell phone is near the home phone system.

That’s the real bummer. The Extend Home works even if the cell phone is at the bottom of the ocean. No bluetooth system can do that.

2 Likes

It’s why I bought a Extend Home box when I got my RW phone. I wanted to be able to turn the phone off at night… some twisted idea I had about preserving battery and phone life.

But it’s all irrelevant now since RW is giving up on the idea.

1 Like

As for now, the device is still being supported so those of us who have them can use them.

1 Like

This is so sad. I find Extend Home to be a very useful and reliable product, It has also saved me the cost of the landline I cancelled when it first came out. I suppose we will eventually lose Anywhere too. Extend Home and Anywhere (and you, Southpaw) have been features unique to Republic Wireless that truly set it apart from other MVNOs with similar pricing.

7 Likes

Extend Home is a niche offering to be sure. Those of us in the niche (and I’m one of them), however, very much appreciate it. It saddens me fellow members not already using Extend home no longer have the opportunity. I’m grateful that, for now at least, those of us who already use Extend Home are able to continue doing so.

Without further development, which Republic stopped some time ago, it’s inevitable. At some point, future operating system updates will render Anywhere incompatible. Candidly, I’m surprised (pleasantly so) Anywhere remains as functional as it does.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Potential Alternatives to Extend Home

I wonder if this is a hint of other changes to come. Maybe RW is going to stop being based on VOIP tech so they can be “co-administered” (merged while keeping brand names) with Ting. No VOIP foundation, no Extend Home.

Pure speculation on my part.

What a bummer! So this means when our adapter goes kaput, that’s it? Could we get a replacement from Grandstream or do we need to find another VOIP service for our home phone? Is Republic going to help us transition?

SPECULATION – NO ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AHEAD – SPECULATION

I’d bet the device will outlast the service. (To be clear, not because I think the service is going away soon but because I have an Obi200 that I’ve had since 2013. These things just don’t die).

2 Likes

As things stand, if’s one’s adapter were to fail, I would have to say, yes.

Republic’s Extend Home adapter is indeed a Grandstream HT801 but with a custom configuration. An off the shelf Grandstream adapter wouldn’t work with Republic’s Extend Home service. Regarding the need to find another VoIP service; while it may very well come to that (no inside information here), I suggest it’s a premature concern. At least for now, the service remains available for those of us who already have an adapter.

How would you like Republic to help? I ask this as a serious question. I do not see Republic suggesting a specific alternative nor would I want them to do so. In the event, an alternative service becomes necessary, the best alternative depends upon one’s use case. You might take a look at the questions I posed here.

I’d say that’s a pretty good bet. I have ATAs (analog telephone adapters) that are more than 5 years old. The most common part failure I’ve seen is the external power supply (wall wart). I’d have to look at my Extend Home adapter but am confident a power supply for it could be sourced.

You probably have 23 of them in a desk drawer. It is plain old microUSB.

Hi @lourdesm.1f1osr,

I’m glad you’re enjoying this feature.

As long as we are supporting the Extend Home feature, if you have trouble with it, please contact our Help Team. This announcement is only that we’ve discontinued the product from our online store.

Please understand, this was not an announcement that the Extend Home feature you are currently enjoying has been discontinued.

2 Likes

I consider Extend Home Adapter a game changer. It’s such a competitive advantage for RW. I brag about it since I got one. I would hate this product to sunset.

7 Likes

I would hate this product to sunset.

Me, too! Extend Home is one of the best things about Republic Wireless service.

6 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:
ah well, i had a feeling this is how it would go.
do let us know if they change their mind and want to offer this again!

4 Likes

This is hugely disappointing and shows the slow death of a great company.
No new innovation.
Cancel all the previous innovation.
Partner with a huge inefficient company.

All good things come to an end eventually.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer