Does Google Messenger work when not on Wi-Fi?

I have two Samsung Js phones for my kids. Set up was easy and we’ve played around with calls and texts using the Messenger app we were prompted to download. All have worked just fine; however when testing we’ve been within Wifi range.

Not really experiencing an issue just wanted to make sure the Google Messenger App will allow me to send and receive texts when NOT within wifi range. I have the text/talk only plan-No data. I am able to text when on wifi just fine…just want to know if I will still be able to when I’m not on wifi. I’ve read some review of people having difficulty with this.

Moderator’s note: Content edited to provide the question. Title edited for length.

Samsung messaging app is not compatible with Republic please install the Google Messenger app for texts

The last part of your question, did not come through…can you please update it so that we can know the exact issue that you are experiencing?

I have the Google messenger app. I was instructed to download it as part of my set up. It’s working when within wifi range but I wanted to know if it will work when not in wifi range. So far every time I’ve sent/received texts I have been within wifi range.

Not really experiencing an issue just wanted to make sure the Google Messenger App will allow me to send and receive texts when NOT within wifi range. I have the text/talk only plan-No data. I am able to text when on wifi just fine…just want to know if I will still be able to when I’m not on wifi. I’ve read some review of people having difficulty with this.

Yes, the Google Messenger app will work on both WiFi and Cellular.

ETA: You do not need cellular data to use Google Messenger.

a little correct here all text on 3.0 are IP base and data is need by the Republic App (Be it WiFi data or cell data) (it just is not counted towards the data tier) Data and roaming data needs to be left on in the system setting for texting to work away from WiFi (though it can be turn off in the Republic app)

I was just addressing the OP’s statement

I have the text/talk only plan-No data

and confirming that a data plan was not required to be able to use Google Messenger even while on cellular

away from WiFi.

I just want to make sure data is not turn off in the setting (we seen this also)

with all republic plan there is some data need by republic and it has never been count against the user and that data has been there on the cell voice and text and no cell data plans)

do not some of the GSM roaming partners don’t give data MVNO and in those areas there my not be cell text just voice