Does Google Voice work with Republic Wireless WiFi connection?

Before you answer, let me be a bit more specific. For example, on all carriers, you can use your phone’s regular, built-in phone dialer to make calls with Google Voice over their cellular network when you have 3G/LTE connectivity, but once you lose cellular connection, you have to use the Hangouts dialer to make a Google Voice call over WiFi. However, since Republic Wireless has WiFi calling functionality, does using the phone’s built-in dialer still work to make Google Voice calls over WiFi, or do you have to revert back to the Hangouts dialer when all you have is a WiFi connection?

Hi Profile - BrianC - Community Forums

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but I opened GV on my MXP and called a friend.

The phone had me confirm the number I was calling from (my number), and my phone rang, when I answered that call on my MXP it made the connection to the person I had dialed. She confirmed the call came in on my GV number.
This was on WiFi, and I have Hangouts disabled.

@BrianC
If when you set up Google Voice app to always send Google Voice number then it does not matter if you are on Cell or WiFi you may dial though the native dialer and the call will be routed

on Cell
open dialer and dial the number you wish to call and the dialer will first call a Republic server which will then route the call to the Google Voice server which would then route the call to the number dialed
on WiFi
open dialer and dial the number you wish to call and the the dialer will contact the Republic server which will route the call to the Google Voice server which will route the call to the number dialed

4 Likes

@drm186 @c1tobor
Thanks to both of you for confirming. That’s pretty sweet that RP wireless does work with GV in this manner over WiFi. Since other carriers don’t have the WiFi option that republic has, you are forced to use Hangouts dialer to make a GV call over WiFi. Glad RW version of WiFi calling works well with GV, as GV is the only number I use. I believe that even with T-Mobile WiFi calling, you still can’t use WiFi natively. Of course, if GV would just build WiFi calling directly into their app, it wouldn’t matter what carrier you used, but that’s a whole other conversation. Go RW!

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer