Does Republic Wireless work with Google Voice?

Does Republic Wireless work with Google Voice? This question has been asked in the past, but I’m wondering about the current status. I get an error message when I try to set up Google Voice:
“This phone number can’t be used to sign up for a Google Voice number. Try verifying with another number.”
Google Voice says the linked number cannot be a VoIP number, which Republic numbers are, of course. However, I have used Google Voice with Republic in the past. Has anyone been able to sign up with Google Voice recently using a Republic number?

Hi @shepherdess6,

I and many others are successfully using Google Voice with Republic service. The VoIP number caveats Google mentions do not apply to Republic numbers though they are, of course, VoIP.

This is Google’s cryptic way of saying the number has been used too many times (in Google’s opinion), to claim a Google Voice number. You will need to use a different number (wireless, traditional landline and cable VoIP would be options) to claim the new GV number. Once claimed, you would be able to link the new GV number to your Republic number as you’ve done in the past.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer