Donation ... Will it work

device

i have a Moto G (16GB) 1st Gen phone that i am not using anymore … I would like to donate that phone to be used outside of the US - Myanmar to be more specific … Lots of questions - can my request be accomplished: if so, what does it take to accomplish such

No. It won’t work with any of the carriers in Myanmar (or any carrier other than Republic Wireless). There’s nothing that you can do to make it work with carriers in Myanmar. It’s only suitable for use with Republic Wireless.

Hi @foresth.icoiuu

I am sorry to say that it will not. The first Gen. Moto G’s have a custom ROM built in to allow RW’s hybrid service to operate.

As far as I know, the bootloader remains locked, therefore it cannot be “flashed” to a new OS. That may have changed, but I have certainly not heard about it.

The above responses by @cbwahlstrom & @c1tobor hold true for all the devices that are listed below

Moto E (1st Gen XT1019)
Moto E2 (2nd Gen XT1526)
Moto G1 (1st Gen XT1031)
Moto G3 (3rd Gen XT1548)
Moto X1 & X2 - (1st Gen XT1049 ) (2nd Gen XT1094 )

“Sorry to say” and “no it will not” seem to be the definitive responses :frowning: … So, let’s approach this from another angle … If I “reactivate” RW service on this same phone, can I use it while in Myanmar?

If so, what does that entail?

It would only work on WiFi and only for call to the US or Canada
this would need to be activated in the US as one needs cell Tower access to activate (though after the first month you could move it down to the $5 plan)
Republic only has cell coverage in the US

I understand having to get it activated in the US and moving to the appropriate plan … Forgive my lack of understanding - when you say “it would only work on WiFi” does that mean that while in Myanmar there would have to be WiFi available before making a call back to the US or Canada?

yes you would need to be on an open WiFi connection (Republic has no cell coverage out side the US, (republic is a US based provider and there is no international coverage or service)

Thanks for clarifying that … After activating to the appropriate plan here in the US, and knowing that while in Myanmar there must be an open WIFi connection to operate, will the phone have to be “set up” in any different way than if it was being used here in the US? … When I say “set up” maybe configured is better terminology … Again I apologize for my lack of what many may see as simple understanding :slight_smile:

I would put the phone in airplane and turn back on the WiFi (this will help battery life as the phone will not be looking for a cell connection that would not be there)

That sounds simple enough … Thanks for staying with me on this general discussion and for “dumbing it down” so I could follow along … Before going and staying with the theme of this discussion, is there anything that I am not asking that I should be asking; am i missing anything?

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the the WiFi you would connect to would have to support VOIP calling. Not all WiFi networks are equal…just say’in.

Connecting WiFi having to support VOIP calling ??? … Had to look up VOIP … To follow is what I hope may be the basic … If so, is my RW device VOIP enabled and would the adapter be needed for the provided Myanmar WiFi device/connection

What is Voice over IP?

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology lets you use the Internet to make and receive telephone calls.

What is Voice over IP?: The Range of Services

VoIP is available in a wide range of services. Some basic, free VoIP services require all parties to be at their computers to make or receive calls. Others let you call from a traditional telephone handset or even a cell phone to any other phone.

What is Voice over IP?: Equipment

For VoIP, you need a broadband Internet connection, plus a traditional phone and an adapter; a VoIP-enabled phone; or VoIP software on your computer.

Republic is a hybrid WiFi first VOIP with Cell backup service provider, as such all calls on WiFi are VOIP based and the Republic handsets are VOIP devices.
Some WiFi do limit their networks to prevent (blocking) VOIP services to force users to either pay them to open the network or use their service)
I made the statement of Open WiFi which would not do this

I follow the remainder of your reply … Please clarify the above

Open WiFi has not limits or blocks to VOIP or other service types

I see says the blind man … Glad you clarified as I interrupted “open WiFi” as to mean to open/enable/have available such WiFi service … Not as you intended

Bottom line - I will have to have RW ready to go on the US end and to be used in whatever country there will need to be a WiFi connection supportive of VOIP calling - open as you say

Also to consider, will the country in question allow VoIP calls. Please see the following:

https://provpnaccounts.com/List_of_countries_which_block_website_content_VOIP_Skype_including_countries_China_UAE_Oman_Syria_Turkey_Malaysia_and_the_continents_of_Asia_Caribbean_Africa_North_America_Europe_and_the_Middle_East-124-articles

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.