Don't just roam, WANDER!

I know we discussed this a bit already, but I think it’s worth some wider consideration. I think disabling the “auto sync” option in Tasker while Wander is in roam mode might help with this particular issue, or at least reduce the amount of data that will piggyback on a whitelisted app.

[…]

So the only change would be in the main entry and exit blocks for a change in roaming state.

You’re right, it definitely would help some.

I’ll add this to my short-list of immediate improvements to make

Thanks for this APP. I have installed it, and also set it to block everything except phone and RW while roaming. Sprint is very strong in this area, but I am taking a trip back home later this week. Sprint is also very strong in most places there, but I just want to be sure I am not one of those that causes this latest change to be necessary.

gap

Thanks for writing this @bitflung! It became available at the perfect time for me. In 1 day I am making a 1200 mile trip. While I didn’t hit a lot of roaming areas on the way up here in June, I know there are some to be found, especially in the mountains of West Virginia!! This will be very handy to have on my phone!

Thanks for writing this @bitflung!

you’re welcome, i hope it works well for you!

It became available at the perfect time for me. In 1 day I am making a 1200 mile trip. While I didn’t hit a lot of roaming areas on the way up here in June, I know there are some to be found, especially in the mountains of West Virginia!! This will be very handy to have on my phone!

have a wonderful trip! 1200 miles in 1 day, eh? you sure are a lead-foot!!

(i kid, i kid - your meaning was perfectly clear)

drive safe and have fun!

-bit

I WISH one day… takes us 3. Thanks!! Now I have to figure out why Pinterest link keeps showing up… hmmmmm…

Problem solved… darned extension!!!

I looked at the stats of the Wander app and it gave me this:

Has anyone else see this on their stats for this app?

I’ve seen wonky stats, but mine went extremely large. Bit is aware of it.

2014-09-16 00.50.39.png

My is showing all zeros, for days, hours, minutes, seconds, and zero percent since installation

Other then the stats being wonky, I believe it has been working as intended. I’ve got the message about the data being turned off earlier this morning on my way into work, and I seen that the data was turned on when I was already in native coverage. So I assume it is working so far.

Do you know if it’s had an opportunity to activate? Meaning you’ve hit a roaming area. Also make sure you’ve enabled Wander, you have to hit the button the main page to turn it on.

most likely not (on a small roaming area in parking deck near me I haven’t been there since install) will try it out later today

Yes the service is on, I seen the warning pop up when I checked my phone getting into work. I hit the ignore and checked that my data was turned on since I am in native coverage. I believe it is working as intended, I will monitor my roaming for the next few days

jimmyk wrote:

Yes the service is on, I seen the warning pop up when I checked my phone getting into work. I hit the ignore and checked that my data was turned on since I am in native coverage. I believe it is working as intended, I will monitor my roaming for the next few days

I was responding to drm186, not your post. Sorry for the confusion.

Setup Screen.JPGStats Screen.JPG

I suggest a couple of changes that will make this more user friendly. First, change “Service is ON” and “Service is OFF” to “Enabled” and “Disabled” to correspond with the language “When enabled…” and change the indication on the Stats screen to correspond with the setting on the Setup screen. As you can see, they appear to be reversed now with ON on the Setup screen and OFF on the Stats screen. As is, it’s kinda confusing.

The button on the stats screen represents if Roaming is currently blocked or not, not whether you’ve enabled Wander. So having them be opposite when you are not in a roaming area is normal. There could be some UI tweaks to make that more obvious. Like having it say “Roaming is currently: Blocked/Allowed”

Or Roaming is currently:Enabled/Disabled.

Alternatively the language on the Setup screen could be changed from disabled to blocked but my personal preference is Enabled/Disabled with the two screens having a lingual correspondence.

Edit: If you feel compelled to explain this to me then either I am dense or the actual state is unclear.

jimmyk wrote:

I looked at the stats of the Wander app and it gave me this:

[massively incorrect stats showing -44 years of roaming time]

yup. sorry - i haven’t ironed out this bug yet. seems there is a race condition sometimes wherein either the START or END of a roaming-blocked period of time isn’t being recorded properly and when the stats are calculated we end up this sort of error.

i use a time source in Tasker that reports the number of seconds elapsed since ~Jan 1970, so when this bug rears its ugly head we end up with a duration of ~44 years either positive (if the START time was erroneously zero) or negative (if it was the END time that was erroneously zero)

since the stats are a nice-to-have feature and not a core part of the functionality, i haven’t put much work into fixing this, but i think it’s a race condition (i’ve got code that is trying to update the START/END times about the same time as other code is reading those variables and i need to wrap one or both in some logic to prevent the issue; aka a “mutex” or “spinlock” where the two blocks of code must be run in a mutually exclusive manner)

in the mid-term i’ve added a “reset stats” button to my local test version of the app so i can reset these values and watch more closely for them to go wonky.

the stats bug should not affect the actual behavior of the app though. perhaps, if i don’t get this fixed right away, i’ll hide the data so it doesn’t confuse/alarm anyone.

-bit

I suggest a couple of changes that will make this more user friendly.

excellent, i’m always open to such feedback

First, change “Service is ON” and “Service is OFF” to “Enabled” and “Disabled” to correspond with the language “When enabled…”

this makes sense (and was suggested by some others as well, thanks everyone!)

i’ve added this to my short list of changes to make.

and change the indication on the Stats screen to correspond with the setting on the Setup screen. As you can see, they appear to be reversed now with ON on the Setup screen and OFF on the Stats screen. As is, it’s kinda confusing.

as @mchasal mentioned in a response already, the stats screen is meant to show something else entirely. I initially used the stats screen to aid in early development, so i had a place to show info about what was going on under the hood. sadly the stats are buggy and confusing while being mostly useless even if they worked properly. i’m considering just removing the stats screen at this point (or hiding it till i get things working better there).

thanks for the feedback!

bitflung wrote:

i’m considering just removing the stats screen at this point (or hiding it till i get things working better there).

Aren’t the stats provided by the Republic app sufficient? Seems to me they are.