Don't just roam, WANDER!

drm186 wrote:

I did a few test with Cell Data off and the Hangout dialer did not connect with an error to check data connection it looks like this is just a VOIP calling (I did a second test with data on band got the same error Sprint 3G is bad at my work but in my option 4G is not worth $15 cost increase most of the time )

bummer - but that makes sense. if google hangouts could flip between cell voice and wifi calling just like RW then, ell, RW would have a Bad Day.

You will never please everyone, but in general I’ve found that in UI’s simple is best. I think the only thing that is slightly confusing is the “block” part of “Roaming data block”. From the app’s point of view the feature that is on/off is “Roaming data block” but from the users point of view the feature they care about is “Roaming Data”. So just remove the block bit and just throw a not around whatever logic controls on/off and call it good

this is a good point - the queued up update will actually just omit the stats screen entirely, but if/when i bring it back i’ll be sure to keep this in mind. definitely an improvement to the usability.

For the service is enabled page just changed that to “Wander is Enabled” and I think you clear things up, service in programming terms is quite different from what a phone user might think of (i.e. cell service, data service etc). Makes perfect sense to me, now that I see what you’re doing there but in the context of a phone app that I know enables/disables data “service” I immediately think that data is enabled when I see that.

oh wow - i hadn’t realized that potential for confusion. others have suggested rephrasing this bit anyway so i’m currently working with it renamed to “Wander ENABLED” versus “Wander DISABLED”.

Also I would say just hide those stats. They would be cool if you can get them up and running but don’t add a lot of value to the end user so its not worth confusing people in the mean time. Also if you aren’t having fun working on them then I don’t think too many people with complain they are gone

absolutely agreed

Great work by the way, I love the fact that you are putting something together that addresses the roaming issue quickly. I think it is a great stop-gap while Republic pulls together their new bucket system for roaming, hopefully the people that were concerned about the roaming change will see this post. In any case good work,

Thanks very much!

something I don’t think a lot of the newer users understand is just how great the community here at Republic is at supporting each other. In my book its another huge selling point for Republic, all the people that spend their free time helping out other users, its great to see.

i 100% agree - the community as a whole is amazingly responsive to everyone’s needs and this is something that is really hard to cultivate. i don’t know exactly how RW managed to get this level of positive participation in their community, but it is clearly a huge benefit for all of us. fantastic stuff going on around here every day!

thanks for the feedback!

-bit

This looks like a great app! I’ll try it!

One question…if roaming data is blocked most of the time, ie, in the pocket, does this also block INCOMING sms text messages?

Thanks.

Look on the previous page (page 3) of these comments, bit has a long post on that subject.

When I grow up, I want to be a developer like you are. Maybe I’ll grow up before I retire?

Thanks for sharing your talents in such a way as to provide a possible solution to a new issue we’ll all likely run into sooner or later.

When I grow up, I want to be a developer like you are.

thanks

Maybe I’ll grow up before I retire?

nah, i hear it’s over-rated! but getting into development is surprisingly easy even before we grow up. i wrote this in Tasker which, while being a little peculiar, is actually very well suited for just about anyone to tinker around with and maybe create a small app. give it a shot and the next app might just come from you!

Thanks for sharing your talents in such a way as to provide a possible solution to a new issue we’ll all likely run into sooner or later.

you’re welcome and i’m very happy to do it.

Thanks for the idea. I thought I had read about some apps being used to build other apps. And I’d looked into tasker, but never really dove in. When I’m ready to put a little time into it, I need to do so. I know I do come up with various ideas on apps anyway, and my nearly 8 yr old son is begging to help design a simple game or app of some sort. So yeah… maybe in the next year, we’ll see.

I find it that the app does not work automatically. I have seen it where it will go in roaming, but the app will not disable the data unless I manually disable wander service and re-enable it (while in roaming btw). Then once I think it will work the next time it roams, it will not activate. I would have to manually do the same thing as I mentioned above. I have uninstalled the App and reinstalled it, I have also done the most recent update on Saturday, but it still seems to not work when going in roaming. I would have to manually re-enable the wander service…
I really like the idea of this app on cutting roaming down, but I do not want to keep re-enabling it, because I am mostly driving when it goes into roaming area.

I find it that the app does not work automatically. I have seen it where it will go in roaming, but the app will not disable the data unless I manually disable wander service and re-enable it (while in roaming btw). Then once I think it will work the next time it roams, it will not activate. I would have to manually do the same thing as I mentioned above.

wow. which phone do you have? do yo use any task killers or something like Greenify to shutdown background processes?

has anyone else experienced anything like this? i cannot reproduce it myself. need more info.

I have uninstalled the App and reinstalled it, I have also done the most recent update on Saturday, but it still seems to not work when going in roaming. I would have to manually re-enable the wander service…

that’s very strange. the update from Saturday doesn’t change the way the app runs in the background (it was mostly cosmetic), so i’m not surprised that didn’t help. there is something very strange happening with your device.

I really like the idea of this app on cutting roaming down, but I do not want to keep re-enabling it, because I am mostly driving when it goes into roaming area.

can we chat a little bit via DM? i’m going to add you as a friend and we can debug things a bit further without putting too much noise in the thread here.

-bit

I do not use any 3rd party task killers, except I do have a ES task manager (but havent used it in a while) that I downloaded a while back when I downloaded the ES file explorer. …

I will check ES task manager and see if there is a hiccup in there.

But other then that app, I do not have any other apps.

I am currently on the Moto X

I cannot find your Wander App at the Play Store. Has it been taken down or something? or Re-named?

The direct link in the article here works for me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitworksapps.wander

I can find it from my computer, but how do I find it from my phone. went to the store, typed it in, nothing…new at this “smartphone app stuff”

Well, if you have it on your PC, and you’re signed into the same Google account there as is on your phone, you can just hit the “Install” button and it will be pushed to your phone soon.

If you’re in Play on the phone, try searching for “wander bitworks”. That brings it up for me.

awesome! look forward to getting other google apps disabled too (e.g. Gmail)

Hi @bitflung! Well, I’m back on my $10 plan after 3 days of the $25 plan and travel. Wander worked wonderfully for me - at first. I think it may still have worked perfectly and it was another app I had on the phone - WiFi AfterConnect that sent me into problems.

The second night of travel I signed into the hotel WiFi and everything was fine. I signed into Shoneys and everything was fine. Went back to the hotel and there was the cute little green noodle - with the gray triangle… arrrggghhhh!! Could not sign into wifi, even though there was a strong signal. Tried MacDonalds the next day - same thing. I shut phone down - started it back up - nada. I uninstalled both programs in frustration.

After I got home - and got my home internet up and running again (that was a whole different nightmare), the phone connected just fine to my WiFi and has been fine ever since.

I’m really thinking it was the other program that messed it all up, but just in case somebody else had the same thing happen…

As I’m on the $10 plan, I won’t be able to test it out until I travel again. I will reinstall it however.

Thanks for writing the program… it worked great. I’m just feeling mighty guilty about all the 3G data I used, although most of the time I wasn’t in a roaming area and when I was, I didn’t use data.

Wander Rules! My first full day with Wander running…

As I’ve mentioned, I’m on an island with difficult reception…poor Sprint, half the time I’m roaming to a Verizon tower on another island. I used to be lucky to get through the day without a recharge (when out and about–on wifi it’s fine). Thought about turning off mobile data, but then there’s that warning…

Well, after being out most of the day, at 10 hours, still 61%! Previously, that would have been more like 15%. So I’m guessing the roaming data was sucking down battery power.

I never really thought about it–I don’t use roaming data, or really any data on the island, except the occasional email check. But the RW email showed I was used 42mb roaming data in August! Holy Moly–it was all background!

ATTENTION RW–if you’d had an option like Wander to just turn off Roaming Data, I would have been using it (for battery life if nothing else) and you would have saved close to 40mb in August! I suspect that much of the high roaming data usage is folks like me who live in poor reception areas and don’t know how to turn off roaming data–getting scared by the message about screwing up calls and sms.

Well, I haven’t been using Wander long enough to really check the sms thing. I hardly ever use sms, maybe once every two weeks, but when I want it, I want it. If I’m going to send one, I can just turn Wander off, but I’m hoping that it won’t interfere with receiving sms when I’m in roaming areas. Will try to check on that soon. If that’s okay, Wander is a perfect solution for data AND battery. And I’m sure RW could build something like that in, and they could make sure it doesn’t interfere with incoming or outgoing sms. HEAR THAT RW? This could be a silver bullet to save a ton of roaming data & you could roll back that 25mb limit!

Agree 100% (and I want to live on an island)

bioguru wrote:

awesome! look forward to getting other google apps disabled too (e.g. Gmail)

all apps are being disabled EXCEPT those specifically listed (or more correctly, data is ALWAYS disabled when roaming except when one of those few apps are actively being used).

i’m not sure if you meant that you’re looking forward to more apps being ENABLED for data (e.g. Gmail), or if i failed to describe this well?

Hi @bitflung! Well, I’m back on my $10 plan after 3 days of the $25 plan and travel. Wander worked wonderfully for me

FANTASTIC NEWS! thanks for the feedback!

• at first. I think it may still have worked perfectly and it was another app I had on the phone - WiFi AfterConnect that sent me into problems.

[…] there was the cute little green noodle - with the gray triangle… arrrggghhhh!!

bummer. well, that shouldn’t’ be related to Wander - I don’t touch the wifi data at all - so i’m guessing either the other app or just generic issues with wifi caused your woes.

Could not sign into wifi, even though there was a strong signal.

couldn’t sign in? or after signing in the RW app wouldn’t turn the Arc solid green? these are definitely two different problems to have, so it’s important to know which one it was (and it might be best to move this discussion to a new thread so others with this issue in the future can find the help more easily)

Tried MacDonalds the next day - same thing. I shut phone down - started it back up - nada. I uninstalled both programs in frustration.

after uninstalling both apps, did the McDonalds wifi work properly for you?

After I got home - and got my home internet up and running again (that was a whole different nightmare), the phone connected just fine to my WiFi and has been fine ever since.

i’m curious why the home wifi needed to be setup again, but that’s likely a whole different issue (?)

now that it is working again, have you reinstalled Wander and that wifi app? have you tried McDonalds/etc since reinstalling those apps? any difference in the phone’s behavior?

I’m really thinking it was the other program that messed it all up, but just in case somebody else had the same thing happen…

absolutely a good idea to post here, at least to get the options on the table. i’m very confident that Wander could not cause these issues and it’s good to document that here.

As I’m on the $10 plan, I won’t be able to test it out until I travel again. I will reinstall it however.

i hope you do. if/when you have issues again in the future, try uninstalling ONLY the wifi app (WiFi AfterConnect). it sounds like a very likely source of your issues.

Thanks for writing the program… it worked great. I’m just feeling mighty guilty about all the 3G data I used, although most of the time I wasn’t in a roaming area and when I was, I didn’t use data.

RW has added caps to roaming data, so we can’t cause them any real harm anymore: don’t feel guilty for using data (roaming or not). Wander should be able to help you save your roaming data allowance for use late in the month when you might really need it, and so its main function is to help YOU moreso than RW (though it ought to be meaningful to RW as well, that’s a secondary purpose now that RW has roaming data caps).