Don't just roam, WANDER!

this is good feadback guys - i’m thinking i might add a config button so users can choose which behavior they’d like… or perhaps a 3 stage slider next to each supported app with a spot for each of three options: “no roam”, “roam when active”, “roam even with screen off”

it gets tricky to document and present this to the user though, so i’m still battling some internal dialog about how to handle it. it could very well be easier for the end user if i just put some text on the screen saying “data will be enabled until you actually leave this app”. even that isn’t perfect since the app could be opened while in native area and might not be noticed when you start roaming…

all good food for thought.

thanks again,

-bit

My initial impression is that the default be where “active” means the app is in the foreground and the phone is not asleep/locked. It just seems too error prone to make sure you switch away from a whitelisted app before sticking your phone in your pocket lest you keep sucking data.

However, there’s the issue of sending an MMS. Especially in the face of the throttle, it might not be reasonable to expect the user to sit there and watch the Messaging app until the MMS completes sending.

I actually ran into a roaming situation… I was deep in a mega-church building, and hadn’t been able to connect to their guest wifi. I actually roamed, and the only thing that roamed was the system data, and that’s it, so something went well.

Doesn’t sound very respectful to be playing with your phone at church instead of paying attention to and participating in the service.

Seems presumptuous to jump to the conclusion that dave_kc was “playing with his phone” in the middle of a service. Perhaps he was volunteering in the kitchen, working in the office, cleaning up the community room, or any number of other activities in the church building that would not be inappropriate places to be using his phone.

Maybe we should just stick to the subject of this thread, the Wander app.

Well, thanks for not jumping to the conclusion @mchasal, as apparently @homelessonwheels has (honestly, I think you’re joking)…

I was attending a three day seminar hosted at the church during the week. But during breaks it’s very appropriate to check e-mails, etc on the phone.

First, I want to say thank you for providing this much needed application - especially in light of Republic Wireless’ reduction of roaming data to 25mb. I have downloaded this application and installed it. I live in a rural area with a lot of roaming towers, and there are likely a number of background applications that were using data needlessly. Previously I used anywhere from 25-100mb of roaming data/month, but I am hoping to trim that down significantly through the use of this program.

One thing I think would be very useful for future development of this application, is to provide the entire list of applications one has installed on their droid, and allow the provision to manually select and deselect which applications you want to be able to allow or disallow access to data while roaming.

First, I want to say thank you for providing this much needed application - […] I have downloaded this application and installed it.

you’re welcome, i hope it works well for you!

I live in a rural area with a lot of roaming towers, […] Previously I used anywhere from 25-100mb of roaming data/month, but I am hoping to trim that down […]

One thing I think would be very useful for future development of this application, is to provide the entire list of applications one has installed on their droid, and allow the provision to manually select and deselect which applications you want to be able to allow or disallow access to data while roaming.

this is an excellent idea and one that i actually aimed for when i started developing the app. sadly, because I use Tasker to build the app, this isn’t exactly an easy task for me. i’ve been looking into it and it does seem possible, but is a good deal more effort than it ought to be. i’m also eager to write a native app and perhaps “Wander 2.0” would be a good reason to get the dev kit up and running again. i’ll be sure to update this thread if/when i accomplish this.

Thanks for the feedback and happy Wandering!

-bit

What everyone has said - grand, grand response to RW’s exceptionally miniscule roaming cap. I may actually move back to the $25 plan, having dropped to the $10 plan…maybe early in 2015… to atone for way overshooting the cap over 4 days (before it was announced, and while I was inadvertently roaming too much, not knowing what “data” was*)…

*still don’t.

But it’s significantly bigger than most MVNO roaming data caps (since most allow no data roaming).

I installed Wander right after the great roaming data bomb of last month. So far this month, using Wander and curtailing apps that I KNOW use roaming data, I have cut my roaming usage to 9mb. Before that, I was running about 45mb per month.

I love RW service and I would hate to lose it, so hooray for Wander.

@bitflung I was about to post a how-to on creating a Tasker profile (%CELLID ~ CDMA) to shut off data when roaming. I like the way you pushed this into an app, much more user friendly.

davidb.44g5hd wrote:

@bitflung I was about to post a how-to on creating a Tasker profile (%CELLID ~ CDMA) to shut off data when roaming. I like the way you pushed this into an app, much more user friendly.

thanks!

FYI: for anyone looking to setup a similar function using Tasker, I’m happy to share the XML source for this project. Just send me a direct message and let me know you’d like it (i like to keep tabs on who has it and pester them to possibly share their improvements back to my copy of the app!)

-bit

@bitflung Maybe you can use your Ambassador super powers to get a ‘Tasker’ Subspace started.

Here’s my implementation, I’d love to contribute to yours.

Prof: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3664402/RW%20Roam%20Block/Roaming_Block.prf.xml

Task: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3664402/RW%20Roam%20Block/Roam_Toggle.tsk.xml

@bitflung Maybe you can use your Ambassador super powers to get a ‘Tasker’ Subspace started.

i like this idea!

i’m not sure, though, whether RW will like it as much - i see legit reasons for it to be somewhat controversial and may contradict their intent to keep things simple and focused on their own services. maybe we should open a ThinkTank idea for it?

Here’s my implementation, I’d love to contribute to yours.

Prof: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3664402/RW%20Roam%20Block/Roaming_Block.prf.xml

Task: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3664402/RW%20Roam%20Block/Roam_Toggle.tsk.xml

thanks for sharing!

I’ve been swamped at work, so i haven’t imported these into tasker myself yet, but i’m looking forward to doing so (and I sent you a link to the Wander source too so you can fiddle with that all yo like!)

i’ll post again once i’ve had a chance to actually play with your code - and i’ll absolutely let you know (and give some credit) if i steal any of your ideas

Anyway to update wander to have Google Hangouts & Messenger as apps Wander’s list?

iamyume wrote:

Anyway to update wander to have Google Hangouts & Messenger as apps Wander’s list?

I’ve actually already created a new version of Wander to support Hangouts and Messenger, but I haven’t pushed it to the play store yet. I’m facing an issue in doing so regarding app signatures.

Specifically, I created this app using Tasker; exporting the app requires a secure certificate which Tasker generates on the fly. Since publishing the first version of Wander I’ve updated to a new phone (and wiped my old phone prior to giving it to my wife). Backing up Tasker seems to backup everything EXCEPT the secure certificate… so my new version of Wander is now signed with a new certificate.

Google Play will not allow me to upload the new version because the certs mismatch. I wanted to publish it as a beta and have just a few testers prior to a global update - as yet I haven’t worked out a manner to publish the update never mind having it tested by others (I made a few backend changes aside from just adding the two apps to the list and these really ought to be fully tested before a global update).

I may very well have to publich it as a NEW app and abandon the old one. That would be unfortunate, but Google’s policy here is that I need the original certificate to prove that I am the source of authority for updates (it’s a very good protection mechanism to prevent anyone from hijacking a play store account and using it to send malware via updates to existing apps).

I’ll figure out a workaround (or solution) this coming week and let everyone know what path that is.

Thanks for the continued interest

-bit

Is there no one you can contact at Google with some sort of recovery process?

As someone waiting patiently for Google Fiber, and with the challenges with my work trying to get there, I can assure that Google is not the easiest company to get to a contact.

Sounds like a god update @bitflung. I have it, although the vast majority of the I’m not in the world of roaming. But on my families recent trip to Minnesota, it was nice to have, and I saw it kicking up a couple of times.