Don't just roam, WANDER!

The two throttle thresholds–5GB of Sprint data and 25MB roaming data. Are those limits per month? or forever, or what?
for the 5Gb throttle is only until the start of the next billing cycle (and once every 6 months Republic will give you a extra 5GB if need (note most don’t go anywhere near needing this))

the throttle of the Roaming data is always there until the cap is hit and then reset at the start of the next billing cycle

the Wander app lets you whitelist an app (Dialer/Phone, Messaging, Messenger, Hangouts, Chrome, Google Maps) that when open in the foreground will allow the Roaming Data to be enabled, while enabled any other app on your phone will also have access to that data, but when those apps are not open no app may get roaming data it will be disabled

[…] I’m slow though, so I have more questions.

an inquisitive mind is usually a sign of intelligence. don’t sell yourself short

Does Sprint data come via Sprint cell towers,

exactly correct

and therefore does not use the 3G I’m buying with my $25 bux a month?

not so correct this time.

your $25/mo pays for:

- basic talk and text on cellular via sprint and non-sprint (aka roaming) towers

- basic talk and text on wifi (smaller costs and sprint isn’t involved, but this costs RW some amount of $ to provide)

- some amount of data on sprint towers (native data); the amount we literally pay for is not disclosed, but we are granted the right to consume up to 5GB at full speed and unlimited data thereafter. RW likely based the pricing on the average person using much less then 5GB/mo though

- some amount of data on non-sprint towers (roaming data); the amount we literally pay for is not disclosed, but we are granted the right to use up to 25MB with zero usage above that. RW likely based the pricing on the average person using much less than 25MB/mo though.

That would seem to make sense. The two throttle thresholds–5GB of Sprint data and 25MB roaming data. Are those limits per month? or forever, or what?

per month.

actually the 5GB threshold is somewhat more complicated than this - once every 6 months RW will allow you to use up to 10GB before throttling your speeds. i like to pretend that’s not there are all and just treat it as a normal monthly throttle above 5GB, but for folks who rarely exceed 5GB and really want full speed data, this nuance may be very meaningful (and a positive attribute for RW)

And one last multi-part question: In Wander, an app set to “No Roam” does not use any roaming data, unless I switch it to “Roam,” open it and use it. Yes? And an app set to “Roam,” is using roaming data whenever it (or Google services, or some other mysterious force) wants, whether I’m using it or not, right?

the big handwaving description of wander is that : YES, setting to no-roam means it can’t use roaming data; setting to roam means it CAN use roaming data. in both cases all apps are allowed to use native data.

the nitty-gritty details include some caveats - anytime you are running an allowed app (an app set to “roam”) IN THE FOREGROUND (that is, you can see the app on your screen) then ALL APPS will have access to data (either roaming or native). Any time you are roaming and NOT running an allowed app (that is no app set to “roam” is currently the active app on your screen) then NO app will have access to data (not even the ‘allowed’ apps if they are running in the background).

it’s a tricky thing to describe in few words. i hope i’ve done it justice.

And whenever I open any of the 6 apps that Wander controls, whatever data the Dark Forces want to shove down my throat comes pouring in. Yes?

i’m not 100% sure what you’re asking here but i want to say “yes”. it sounds like you might be recognizing the reality that Wander controls the PHONE’S access to data when roaming or not, rather than each APP’S access to data. Wander uses the currently active app to decide whether or not to enable roaming data for the phone, but once enabled ALL APPS have access to data. if this is what you meant then you were absolutely correct. if not then i’m confused and need some help understanding the question.

I know this sounds picky, but I just want to understand how my tools work, and this is all new to me. Thanks again for any help here. Tim

picky is good. picky is why i wrote wander.

the source code for wander is open and free too - if you get picky enough i might suggest you download it and look at the logic directly to help clarify things a bit (and that’s not sarcasm - i really hope lots of folks would be interested in exactly this)

((This post originally appeared, and belongs, before the previous two great answers. Unfortunately, my questions and their answers crossed paths, and I tried to fix it by deleting this, but realized that would be confusing, so I’m putting it here. Maybe I’ll be lucky and no one will read this. Doh!))

drm185: Yes, Thank you. I didin’t get the difference between Sprint data and roaming data. I’m slow though, so I have more questions. The two throttle thresholds–5GB of Sprint data and 25MB roaming data. Are those limits per month? or forever, or what? And one last multi-part question: In Wander, an app set to “No Roam” does not use any roaming data, unless I switch it to “Roam,” open it and use it. Yes? And an app set to “Roam,” is using roaming data whenever it (or Google services, or some other mysterious force) wants, whether I’m using it or not, right? And whenever I open any of the 6 apps that Wander controls, whatever data the Dark Forces want to shove down my throat comes pouring in. Yes? I know this sounds picky, but I just want to understand how my tools work, and this is all new to me. Thanks again for any help here. Tim

bitflung: Thank you for the clear and detailed answer. You’ve cleared up every confusion I had regarding this whole issue.

(ahem)um, except one little one.

If I get into a no-sprint area, I cannot open the apps that are set to “No Roam” in Wander, yes? And if I open one set to “Roam” in the foreground, the “No-Roam” apps will–no matter what–not suck in any roaming data, but the “Roam” apps might?

Again, bitflung, I truly appreciate not only your generous gift of Wander, but your being willing and able to describe its operation so well. Thanks again.

bitflung: Thank you for the clear and detailed answer. You’ve cleared up every confusion I had regarding this whole issue.

you’re welcome

(ahem)um, except one little one.

ok, you get ONE more question then…

If I get into a no-sprint area, I cannot open the apps that are set to “No Roam” in Wander, yes?

• you can open them

• when they are in the foreground ALL mobile data will be disabled, thus NO APP will have data access

And if I open one set to “Roam” in the foreground, the “No-Roam” apps will–no matter what–not suck in any roaming data, but the “Roam” apps might?

sorry, no.

if you open a “roam” app in the foreground then ALL apps will have access to data again.

here’s an analogy: think of data like “power”. you’ve likely got power at your home, straight from the power grid, but perhaps you also have a generator to provide power when the grid is down (say, during hurricane season).

In this case power from your personal generator is more precious to you; it’s a limited resource since the fuel tank can only provide 25 [units of power] while you could theoretically consume an unlimited amount of power from the grid. thus the generator is analogous to “roaming data” while the power grid is analogous to “native data”.

Wander attempts to control which appliances in your home have access to power from the generator, so it knows:

• which appliance you are actively using (which one is right in front of you)

• whether your home power is coming from the grid or the generator

but it’s ability to CONTROL power use is limited to turning the whole house on and off, so it is capable of:

• shutting off ALL POWER when the generator is used and you’re not physically interacting with a generator-power-allowed appliance;

• turning ALL POWER back on when you physically interact with a generator-power-allowed appliance;

• turning ALL POWER back on when the grid power comes back on line

this results in an overall reduction of your use of generator power, but it does not affect each appliance separately. ALL appliances either have power or don’t have power at any given moment in time.

likewise, ALL APPS on your phone will either have access to data or NOT have access to data at any given moment in time. Wander does not have the ability to allow data for one app while blocking it for another at a single moment in time. All it can do is flip the system-wide toggle to turn data on or off and it does this based on the app you are physically interacting with (the app actually displayed on your screen).

Again, bitflung, I truly appreciate not only your generous gift of Wander, but your being willing and able to describe its operation so well. Thanks again.

you’re very welcome! i hope the above analogy clarifies things a bit further.

I am satisfied. Thank you again, sir.

@bitflung

You probably don’t know yet but I thought I’d ask anyway.I have always been on the WiFi data only plan with my Moto x1 so I have never bothered with your app. Now I’m going to be part of the Maestro lab and wonder if I should install the app or wait to see if Republic adds its capabilities to the Republic app?

Hi @ozarkjim! I’m the same situation that you are in - $10 plan. I do have Wander on my phone but since it’s so very seldom that I’ve upped to cell data, I don’t use it. I’m also part of the lab…

My gut feeling, and what I’m planning on doing at this stage of the game, is to not use it so rw gets a feel of how it affects what they’re adding/doing with Maestro. If they’re going to be adding things to help with the roaming, I don’t want to skew it because I’m using Wander.

With that being said, you might just want to download Wander (which is a great app) but not run it at first. Then part way through run it and see how that affects things.

I wish us luck - and fun! Can’t wait to get started!! And this was all only my opinion… @bitflung would probably have the perfect handle on it!!

the details of the Maestro Lab are not in yet so we don’t even know if Roaming data will be included and f it is how much will be included, it it is I plan on using wander to keep it down as we will most likely be paying for it in roaming buckets (if it an option) I think the details will be sent with the follow up email on or after the 18th

Oh I’m sure the details will be sent @drm186… just speculating on @ozarkjim’s speculating.

Bottom line - “we’ll know what’s in the bill when we pass it” … or at the very least receive the details!!!

As I’ve said, I do have Wander on my phone already. What I ACTUALLY end up doing is going to depend on the parameters we’re given!!

@bitflung

You probably don’t know yet but I thought I’d ask anyway.

you’re right - but never hurts to ask

I have always been on the WiFi data only plan with my Moto x1 so I have never bothered with your app. Now I’m going to be part of the Maestro lab and wonder if I should install the app or wait to see if Republic adds its capabilities to the Republic app?

I have 3 thoughts on this:

1. if RW doesn’t have good controls for roaming data usage then Wander might save you some money (i wonder how they’ll handle the plan pricing during labs testing?);

2. if RW does have good controls they’ll want THOSE tested too i’m sure (so installing Wander would ill-advised);

3. regardless of what RW offers it might be good to test both with and without Wander (so you can report RW-specific issues to them and possibly report Wander issues to me - if Wander doesn’t work well with the latest RW app/services then that’s Wander’s problem though, not RW’s - so be sure to test without Wander when reporting to RW)

In the end I think this means testing WITHOUT Wander, in general, but if you want to test with Wander as well then install it, test, then uninstall it. best to leave the labs testing as “vanilla” as possible, in my opinion.

on the other hand, if you look at your usage and really feel the need for wander right away then go ahead and install the app - just be SURE to let RW know you’ve got Wander installed whenever you report back to them.

-bit

Thanks for your insight. Since I would likely be able to load Wander any time I wanted I’ll leave things the way they are until we get more direction from RW in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!

@bitflung looks like this Don’t just roam, WANDER! app will be of great use. I see that it’s incompatible with my Defy XT running an earlier version of Android. Is the only solution to get the same functionality of Wander to use DriveFi AND Tasker AND AutoLocation? I would really rather not encumber my little bit of remaining memory with 3 apps, that each require some learning curve. If you can direct me to another solution I’d be obliged.@

@terminalvelocity here’s my tasker script with similar fiction. Should work without plugins.

@davidb.44g5hd, can you send that again? the existing hyperlink just takes me to my profile within Republic Wireless.

In the new RW app, under Cell data settings is a check box for "Disabled for installed apps except for systems apps used for Republic calling, SMS and voicemail. Should this be checked or not when Wander is running and enabled?

Personally, I’ve removed Wander because the new apps give me the roaming blockage I want.

@terminalvelocity ironically the community forums are not very mobile friendly… Here’s that link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/apfry74k33ny2v3/AAAf8jEQL1iLq8dJKVHD_jFga?dl=0

mistermike wrote:

In the new RW app, under Cell data settings is a check box for "Disabled for installed apps except for systems apps used for Republic calling, SMS and voicemail. Should this be checked or not when Wander is running and enabled?

if you UNCHECK that box, then roaming data will never be used (that is, except to support RW’s own needs and in a manner which you are not billed for). in this case Wander is absolutely no longer useful for you. It is probable that this mode of operation would suite a large portion of RW’s userbase just fine (myself included); this large portion of the userbase would have no desire to actually use roaming data in their apps but want their RW service to access it when needed. unchecking the box accomplishes exactly that.

If you CHECK that box then the language changes; the description changes to "“enabled for all installed apps”. In this case roaming data is available for ALL apps and therefore you would likely benefit by using Wander.

so, if UNCHECKING the box would leave you completely happy with your service then I suggest you do so and at the same time feel free to uninstall Wander. If it would leave you wishing for roaming data access via some limited set of apps then you’d want to CHECK the box and keep Wander installed.

hope that helps,

-bit

Thank you. That was exactly the answer I needed. I’ve adjusted my & my wife’s Moto X 1 accordingly.

Mike