Don't understand how cell data is calculated

What phone do you have? Moto G5Plus

What plan are you on? Unlimited talk/text 1GB data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? 1GB data

Issue Description:

I don’t understand how data is calculated. I almost never check email on my cell because I’m always near my laptop. But this is my data usage: Yahoo Mail: 340MB, Google Backup Transport: 262MB, Google Play Store: 68MB, Google Play Store: 60MB. The rest are minor. I seldom if ever download new apps. Why is Yahoo Mail being charged when I don’t use it? Why are duplicate Google Play data recorded? 1GB should be more than enough for me, but Republic is always telling me I’m exceeding my limit. Is there something I need to turn off? I only had 300MB on my AT&T plan and never exceeded it.

If you’ve got the Yahoo Mail App installed, it is syncing your mail in the background, whether you check it or not. If you don’t want it to do that, uninstall the App and use Chrome to check the email by web when you want to check it.

As far as Google Backup Transport there are a few things that can use that. One that you should be sure is turned off is Google Photos. Open the Photos App, click the three stacked lines at the top left, click Settings, then click Backup & Sync and make sure “Cellular data back up” is turned off for Photos & Videos.

Finally, for the Google Play Store, open it, again hit the three stacked lines on the top left, click Settings, and then “Auto-update apps” and make sure it is set to “Over Wi-Fi only”.

Thank you for your timely response. I have followed your instructions. For now I will leave my Yahoo Mail on update, just in case I need it for emergencies, and also because reducing the other usage may keep me below the limits.
For the Google Backup Transport, the actual name of the item I turned off is “Backup and Sync”. If this is incorrect, let me know.
For Google Play Store, it was already set on “Wifi only”, so I think there’s still an issue of why this is being calculated twice. Let me know of any solution to this. Thanks.

I have my gmail configured to read my yahoo email.

My guess is that the primary data hog in your yahoo mail is the images/attachments embedded in your email.
In gmail app you can choose the default to be “text only”…and when you tap on “show pictures” it downloads the images within the email.
This is done under
Settings -> -> Images -> Ask before showing

Also, the “Download attachments” settings can be configured to only download attachments while on WiFi.

The Yahoo Mail app may have similar settings…but I find the gmail app much more intuitive and less data hungry.

If you got “Google Play Store” data usage even though your Settings were “WiFi only” …then that means that you must have downloaded a new app or manually updated an app while you were on cellular data.

amitl - thank you very much for your help. I did not find the “text only” option on Yahoo. However, the tips about Wifi will be helpful.