DriveFi is now available the Google Play Store

As previously posted here, DriveFi is an app designed to help RW members by disabling wifi when driving and enabling it again when you stop.

The app prevents attempts to connect to known wifi hotspots as you drive past them, without requiring any manual effort.

DriveFi uses your phone’s accelerometers to determine if you are driving or not; the GPS is NOT used and neither are the cell or wifi radios.

Note, therefore, that if you fiddle with your phone while driving, the activity recognition algorithm won’t know that you are driving!

DriveFi is now available on the Google Play Store!

PLEASE NOTE: I updated the package name for the play store version. This means that you should UNINSTALL YOUR CURRENT VERSION before installing it from the Play Store. Failing to do so will result in two DriveFi apps running on your phone, and no one wants that (it won’t harm your phone, but would likely cause the versions of the app to fight for control over the wifi radio)!

From this point forward updates will be much simpler - you’ll be notified of DriveFi updates through the Play Store just as you would be for any other app.

As stated in the original blog post (and in the Play Store listing) DriveFi still uses a non-free 3rd party plugin called AutoLocation.

As always, I do not profit from sales of this plugin (in fact, I’m not a very big fan of it at all - if anyone knows of a free alternative I’d love to switch to one!)

(quote from the original blog post follows)

Tasker and Third Party Plugins:

There is an application in the Play Store called Tasker which provides an easy method to develop automation scripts for Android devices. These scripts may be exported as proper Android Apps and may be freely distributed by the script author.

Tasker does not provide access to the new Activity Recognition API, though third party plugins exist which do provide access to this API. Unfortunately these third party plugins are not free.

When a Tasker script is export as a proper App, it includes hints that the App requires any third party plugins that were used to create it. The exported app cannot include the plugin directly, and of course plugins must be installed (and purchased, if not free) by anyone who wishes to run a Tasker-based app which utilizes that plugin.

I hope you enjoy the new version, and as always your feedback is much appreciated! I’ve received a number of feature requests and am actively working on many of these.

The first version on the Play Store is an update from the RW-centric distribution; we are up to version 1.6 now with some UI improvements and the inclusion of one feature request: the ability to turn off the persistent notification!

With no further stalling for time, go find the latest DriveFi version at the play store!

google_play_banner.png

Delay needed before connecting to Wifi
Google Maps Interruptions
Annoying Xfinity pop-up

Update to version 1.6.1:

• bug fixes: DriveFi GUI sometimes failed to load from notification tap
  • gui updates: fixed some widget placement issues in landscape mode and advanced settings screen
  • new feature: ‘disable sync’; drive fi will turn off android auto-sync in driving mode
  • new feature: ‘disable wifi’; drive fi will trun off wifi in driving mode; default is enabled
  • announcement cleanup: voice announcements weren’t consistent
  • “service enabled” announcement is blocked when the service is enabled on boot

I posted some info in the old DriveFi comment stream that should be useful for new users, so i’m blatantly copying it here for you:

Be sure to update uninstall and then install the latest version - it’s on Google Play Store now!

DriveFi is now available the Google Play Store

• you should launch the AutoLocation app at least once so it verifies its license, after that just launch DriveFi and configure it as you wish:

- DriveFi Service: if not enabled, the app won’t do anything

- Announcements: purely optional, but if you’d like to keep tabs on what the app is doing this is good to turn on

- Advanced Settings -> Text Announcements: if announcements are enabled, this causes small text popups when DriveFi actively changes your settings

- Advanced Settings -> Voice announcements: again, only if announcements are enabled, this causes voice narration of DriveFi’s activities

- Advanced Settings -> Persistent Notification: if announcements are enabled, this toggles between persistent or normal notifications (persistent can’t be cleared, but normal notifications can be cleared from the notifications area after they occur, without closing down the app)

Hi Bit,

Just DL the app nd it looks good but some of the words get scrunched 3/4 the way down just above the online help button. Touch not driving & the driving state is scrunched at the bottom of the box. I will test driving later.

Thanks Bit

bocephous1

bocephous1 wrote:

Hi Bit,

Just DL the app nd it looks good but some of the words get scrunched 3/4 the way down just above the online help button. Touch not driving & the driving state is scrunched at the bottom of the box. I will test driving later.

Thanks Bit

bocephous1

i don’t see an issue when i tap ‘not driving’, but i do see the text label being too narrow in landscape mode for that particular text. is this what you mean?

thanks for the feedback!

-bit

In landscape and normal I didnt look at landscape till now. If everything above the help button was moved up there wouldnt be a problem.

bocephous1

PS: or move the buttons slightly lower there is more room to go lower than up

interesting, i can’t reproduce this issue.

you’re running on a Defy XT, right?

can you take a screenshot? (or even just snap a pic of your screen using another phone/camera?)

I keep getting an unauthorized screen trying to upload 2 pics. I am going to send a friend invite. Send me a email I can send the pics to you.

bocephous1

i accepted the friend request - but we dont need to be so private about it. the app is published with a support email address: dev@bitworksapps.com

(it’s already public at the play store, no use hiding it now!)

Bit,

Per your email back I have Bigfont running in the back ground but Bf didnt change app fonts till your app. I never thought about the Bf app on my phone as its barely noticeable.

Bf runs at 130% and when it is off the app is fine. Never realized it did so much but now we know what changes your app.

Thanks for the help understanding.

bocephous1

DriveFi uses your phone’s accelerometers to determine if you are driving or not. This is a side effect of this feature. I got on the elevator and as soon as I was heading up the voice said “Driving mode enabled” No WIFI for 50 floors LOL.

The RW community is awesome. A quick question. It is my understanding that drive by wifi is only a problem if you have the Wifi+ app. Is this correct? I prefer to use the basic wifi app that came with the Defy XT. If I am correct in my previous statement is there any reason to download the DriveFi app?

Thanks.

[…] It is my understanding that drive by wifi is only a problem if you have the Wifi+ app. Is this correct? I prefer to use the basic wifi app that came with the Defy XT. If I am correct in my previous statement is there any reason to download the DriveFi app?
great question!

in fact, DriveFi is useful even if you don’t use Wifi+.

If you ever connect to any of the access points yo might drive past (or access points with identical generic names, like “linksys” or “public hotspot”) then your phone will try to connect to these automatically as you drive past them (assuming your wifi radio is ON).

Wifi+ exacerbates the problem (by automatically adding new open hotspots) but isn’t the only source of the problem. In fact, all Android phones (and most smart phones in general) are likely to experience this drive-by-wifi issue.

If you do try out DriveFi, I’d love any feedback you might provide (critical feedback is welcomed: i hope to massage this app into something we would ALL love to use).

Thank you for developing this app. I will download at see what it can do for me.

I downloaded this, but when I opened the app it stated that it requires an Autolocation plugin and directed me to another app from a different developer (JOAOMGCD). I did not see mention of this in the DriveFi notes or on this forum. The Autolocation App states that you can try it free for 7 days after which you have to purchase a code to unlock. What’s the deal?

kf wrote:

I downloaded this, but when I opened the app it stated that it requires an Autolocation plugin and directed me to another app from a different developer (JOAOMGCD). I did not see mention of this in the DriveFi notes or on this forum. The Autolocation App states that you can try it free for 7 days after which you have to purchase a code to unlock. What’s the deal?

yup, this is true - DriveFi uses a 3rd party plugin to access the Activity Recognition API.

This was spelled out very clearly in the original blog post, but I failed to carry it over to this post (written specifically to direct folks to the Play Store rather than a local file-share for new version of DriveFi). The original post goes into great length about the motivations and reasons things are as they are:

DriveFi: An application to prevent “Drive-by WiFi connections”

I’ve now updated this post to bring the 3rd part plugin issue to potential users’ attention more quickly.

Note that the 3rd party plugin IS discussed in the Play Store listing:

DriveFi - Android Apps on Google Play

=======================================================

This app is a Tasker App Factory product and utilizes a non-free Tasker Plugin to access the Activity Recognition API. I do NOT benefit/profit from sales of the non-free plugin. Sorry about that, I hope to migrate to a free plugin in the future.

in fact, at the time of your post (and this response) the current version’s “What’s new” section talks specifically about work I’ve done to workaround issues with that plugin:

What’s New

v 1.6.2

• Workaround AutoLocation bug by restarting the plugin when spurious triggers occur
  • Attempt to avoid AutoLocation bug by reducing the feature set used (without degrading DriveFi’s functionality)

As always, feel free to give feedback via the in-app Help (A user survey and a bug report form are both provided)

I DO still hope to write my own plugin (and make it free and possibly open source) but much of my free time for this sort of work has evaporated recently (~2 month old baby at home now). Development hasn’t even begun on that plugin and I can’t promise I’ll ever complete it (such is the ambiguity of programming for free in one’s spare time)

Sorry for the confusion,

-bit

Has anyone else had a problem with the responsiveness of their phone after installing this app? I love that it did shut down my wifi when driving, but became so sluggish during regular use that I had to uninstall. It could take up to 30 seconds to respond to any screen press on the main screen or within any app…

steveh wrote:

Has anyone else had a problem with the responsiveness of their phone after installing this app? I love that it did shut down my wifi when driving, but became so sluggish during regular use that I had to uninstall. It could take up to 30 seconds to respond to any screen press on the main screen or within any app…

interesting. i haven’t experienced this myself, and i do “eat my own dogfood” as they say (meaning that i use the app myself).

perhaps you just needed to reboot? did you try that?

the app shouldn’t cause any slowdown at all - it sits 100% idle, waiting for an event trigger. perhaps the autolocation plugin was responsible? it is more active on the phone (runs once every 30 seconds to query the activity recognition api).

i’d really like to know if you can reproduce this issue - if my app is at fault i’d like to fix it, but without some manner to reproduce it i haven’t a clue where to look.

has anyone else experienced this issue? did it go away after a reboot, or did you also uninstall?

[EDIT: btw thanks for the bug report]

Sounds like low memory on the phone. Make a thread in open mic and lets see what we can do for you. DriveFii think is rock solid and it dont hurt my phone in any way.

bocephous1

bocephous1 wrote:

Sounds like low memory on the phone. […]

definitely possible. @steveh, how much memory (internal storage) did you have free when you experienced this issue? could you reinstall DriveFi and check then?

i suppose it’s worth mention that i’ve never tried moving DriveFi to the sdcard. since it can load at boot (if you leave the service enabled when you shutdown, it starts automatically on boot) it cannot natively be moved to the sdcard - but there are tricks to put it there nonetheless. any chance you did that? i don’t see how that would cause any issues (aside from failing to load on boot) but it is one mode of operation that i simply haven’t tested…

-bit