Dual carrier still in the works?

back when the 3.0 plans were launched and the new phones dropped I was very disappointed that the weren’t the new hybrid or dual carrier phones - I was told dual carrier phones that use the sprint network as well as t-mobile’s would be available at the end of the year - well it’s almost that time and I can’t find any info…

I have been holding out on on getting a new phone bc there is no service on the current 3.0 plans in my area - I would really like to upgrade my phone from this rather jenky moto g 3rd gen as it was just a stop gap/backup phone.

Is there any talk of this happening anytime soon? Is there phones currently being sold that will for sure work on the dual carrier network when it rolls out?

My desire to upgrade my phone is leading me to contemplate leaving RW - unless there is some light at the end of the tunnel - maybe you need some beta testers

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

Republic Wireless 3.0 CDMA Update

When 2.0 came out and RW was talking about coming features like having an alternate primary network, many/most of us took that to mean best-at-the-moment network use, probably because the roadmap seemed to generally be running parallel to Google FI’s. More recent forecasts from RW, like when 3.0 was launched, sound more like you will choose which network plan you are on and won’t have any access to the other.

• I was told dual carrier phones that use the sprint network as well as t-mobile’s would be available at the end of the year -

I don’t know where you heard or read that unless it was in one of the rabidly inaccurate tech news stories you read. Everything I’ve read from RW has only said they are working on getting Sprint onboard as a 3.0 CDMA either/or option to the 3.0 GSM service. No Fi like experience on the immediate horizon.

thanks for the response

well thats just odd - so basically I can shell out 600 bux for a phone and not know if it will work in my home area until I get it - Im not feeling that at all and quite frankly this is a ridiculous way to do business even for RW

I dont care if the phone works on tmobile and sprint - I just need one that works in my home area

yes you are correct I should have said or instead of and - my point is I need a new phone and I dont feel confident I can get what I need from RW at this time since they won’t even tell me which phones they offer cdma with

I agree with you and so do others this soft launch almost sounds like a bait and switch unless call upon (my words which republic counter argues it’s not)

Dilbert Gets a New Pair of Shoes

Well you can eliminate the Moto Z versions, the Samsung S6 and J3, and the Huawei phones as they are all GSM only phones.

All the rest of the phones are CDMA compatible.

Order the CDMA compatible phone and Republic’s computer picks the best network for you. If you don’t like the network the computer picks for you, send the phone back or take the phone to a different provider.

so does that include the nexus 6p by huawie?

I agree if they select Sprint and you want T-Mobile Republic will send out a GSM SIM but if you wanted Sprint and get T-Mobile I’m not sure if Republic will just send out a replacement SIM (from what I’m reading is the soft launch will not guarantee one will be able to get a Sprint based phone (also not all CDMA capable phones are in the soft launch yet they will not say which ones are) (all in all I’m not a fan of this soft launch it is a gamble and not a way I think a company should act)

johny.ta18am wrote:

• I would really like to upgrade my phone from this rather jenky moto g 3rd gen as it was just a stop gap/backup phone.
  • my point is I need a new phone and I dont feel confident I can get what I need from RW at this time since they won’t even tell me which phones they offer cdma with

If you can live with you G3 a bit longer it certainly appears the 3.0 CDMA plans are likely to be available soon. If/when those are announced I’m certain RW will say which phones are compatible. As others mentioned some phones can already be ruled out which doesn’t really help you but may be good info for those that either GSM or CDMA would work in their location.