Email "encouraging" PIN: mandatory?

I got the 8/23/17 email saying, “We want to encourage you to protect your account by setting up a PIN number. This PIN number will help to add another layer of protection to your account.”

I’m fairly sure I never set up a PIN on this phone (Moto G, 1st gen) because I don’t want one. I’m retired, my phone is always on me, and I seriously don’t need to have to break into my own phone every time I want to use it. I have no plans to switch from RW, so I don’t need to worry about porting (I’ll drive off that bridge when I come to it).

While I appreciate your security concerns, I just want to make sure that you didn’t in fact mean “mandatory” (I got a reminder notice on 8/30). Sorry, but I’m still annoyed about having to use a PIN for voicemail - PLEASE don’t require the PIN.

Hi @yez

I believe the PIN request emails you are referencing are related to your RW Account portal, not the lock-screen security PIN on the phone itself.

RW implemented this as an added security layer to prevent anyone from accessing your RW service/billing account.

Disregard if I have misunderstood your question.

Hi @yez,

The emails you received are indeed as observed by @c1tobor related to account security enhancements in Republic’s My Account portal. This PIN is separate from any lock screen PIN on one’s phone and also separate from your voicemail PIN.

Setting up a My Account portal PIN is also not mandatory but is encouraged. In the future, if you were to wish to port (transfer) your number to another service provider having this PIN will be required. Additionally, setting up this PIN will allow Republic staff to more easily assist you should the need arise to contact them without being able to sign into your Republic account. Anyway, the choice is yours. If you decide to go ahead, you would create the PIN here: Account Management | Republic Wireless.

Thanks so much to both of you. :slight_smile: The email didn’t specify. (All PINs are related to security, so couldn’t they be more specific?!) I’ll probably do it, although it would take a lot to get me to change to another carrier!

Additionally, I think I may have set a PIN for my voicemail, but I never use it.

You should be able to open your Phone’s Dialer, and select the voicemail icon (:voicemail:) and access your voicemail without actually using the voicemail PIN. They call it Visual Voicemail.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.