Fellow Republic Members and Staff,
I, emperordahc, as a first wave tester for Republic Wireless, have left for other pastures.
This is a completely positive post. Let’s keep this thread this way.
I have loved, loved, loved being with RW. I’ve loved testing phones, testing software and enrolling in as many betas as I could. The RW staff have always been top notch amazing. It’s been great discussing in the forums about features we need or miss and helping the team bugfix issues. I’ve enjoyed the social media side. It’s been amusing seeing myself mentioned/quoted in marketing and release notes. Early during the beta, a year of free service was great, too!
And I’ve loved the shirts. I’m wearing one right now as I type this, and my wife and I will continue wear them and promote RW.
However, my family has moved, and our needs changed. Here’s the reasoning, in order, I had to weigh about sticking with RW:
- Our new home only has Verizon coverage. If our internet/power goes down, we have no data while roaming to Verizon. Our phones were staying roaming all day, killing the batteries.
- We’d lose our RW 2.0 Refund plan if we upgraded our ancient Moto X1s, increasing our monthly bill.
- My kids are needing phones soon, and 4 phones on another carrier’s family plan can be cheaper than RW.
- My wife needs an iPhone for easier tech support by me. RW is understandably sticking with Android for now.
- RW is having to whitelist BYOD phones, which is understandable, but restrictive.
- I’ve been missing (delaying until I’m back in range) text messages from being in areas that have very weak cell service without data. Being enrolled in Anywhere, which is amazing 99% of the time, let me see how RW 3.0 phones require an active data connection to receive texts.
- Newer versions of Android, outside the control of RW, are causing doze issues with incoming wifi calling, as discussed in the forums. There are Tasker, etc. workarounds, but I need a simple fix for my wife.
So. We’ve moved to Xfinity (Comcast) Mobile (which is a Verizon MVNO).
- Xfinity uses Verizon (which is the only coverage we have at our new home)
- Supports all Verizon compatible phones (including iPhones)
- Since I already have Xfinity internet, up to 5 phones are all free talk/text each month with shared data buckets of $12/GB. (We use less than 1GB between the two of us.) This will actually drop our current RW Refund bill in half to below $20 total, and that’s after adding the kids, too.
- Currently had a sale that got my wife an iPhone for 1/2 price and myself and pretty good Android for $1.
All that said, we’ll come back to RW in the future if things change again for us.
My RW Wishlist:
- Bring back Refund plans (the marketing message is hard, I know!)
- Family plans
RW has been awesome, and I hope them the best!
Once again, please keep this thread positive.