Error message: cellular network not available for voice calls... bad SIM card?

What phone do you have?
Moto E4
What plan are you on?
My Choice + 1 Gig
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Data

I’ve been dealing with a variety of issues for over a week now. Initially texts quit sending. I got the message “cellular network not available for voice calls.”

I tried several reboots, and even “cleared the cache” per some advice on a previous thread (“Cellular network not available for voice calls” when on wifi).
I thought this fixed it, but it was apparently just the fact that I came back online and put it in airplane mode.

Now, the phone only works when I restart it, put it in airplane mode, and turn on the wifi. Obviously this is useless as soon as I leave the house.
When I turn airplane mode off, I get the “cellular network not available for voice calls” message and texts don’t send.
The phone then does one of two things:
Sometimes, it prompts me to activate the phone. When I follow its steps, it again tells me to activate the phone and includes the message that if I keep seeing that screen I should restart the phone.
Other times, if I open the Republic Wireless app, it instructs me to get a new SIM card. Is this the root of my problems?

Please go to Settings – About Phone – Software (or System) Update while connected to wifi. You should find an update waiting. Once it has applied and the phone has restarted, please go back and check again for another update. Once all updates are applied you should find that the phone is working properly again.

Here’s our help center article in case the phone does not seem to have any update available: