Existing My Choice plan: How to upgrade or replace your phone

If you are an existing RW member with a phone on the My Choice plan and are looking to upgrade or replace your phone. Here is a set of scenarios and corresponding steps required to make the transition.

For all scenarios be sure to apply all system updates to your new phone before proceeding to RW activation.
You only need access to WiFi for the initial setup of the phone.

You need access to WiFi and Cellular Data to successfully complete all the RW activation steps.

SIM card ID: To check your SIM card type, open the RW App, Tap on the Gear icon, Tap on About.
and look for SIM Type (last item in the Phone info section). This way you’ll know whether you fall into scenario 1, 2, or 3 below.

1) Existing My Choice GSM phone upgrade or replace with GSM phone.

This is the simplest upgrade or replacement scenario.

• If you bought the new phone from RW then it comes with a brand new SIM card installed, and it is recommended that you use that SIM card for the activation process.
  • If you bought the phone elsewhere, simply remove the GSM SIM card from your existing phone, place it in your replacement phone.

Install or update the RW app on your new phone and then follow the activation instructions in the RW app. Be sure to use the same login credentials as your existing phone and watch carefully for the option to move your phone number to the new phone. At the end of the activation process, the new phone will get your phone number and the old phone will be deactivated.
If you moved the SIM card from the old to the new phone, turn both phones off and back on once these steps are complete.

2) Existing My Choice CDMA phone upgrade or replace with My Choice phone bought from RW.

Note: If you currently have a CDMA phone on a My Choice plan and want the same coverage, use this list to ensure you order a CDMA capable phone.

A phone bought from Republic Wireless will come with a SIM card installed. Install or update the RW app on your new phone and then follow the activation instructions in the RW app. Be sure to use the same login credentials as your existing phone and watch carefully for the option to move your number to the new phone. At the end of the activation process, the new phone will get your phone number and the old phone will be deactivated.

If you notice a difference in coverage on the newly activated phone and prefer the coverage of your previous phone, use the SIM card ID instructions at the top of this post to see whether your new phone has a GSM or CDMA SIM card. If it’s GSM, the SIM card from your old phone may be compatible and can be re-used within 20 days. You can compare CDMA SIM card formats in the Detailed Supported Phone Features article. If your old and new phones use the same CDMA SIM card format (iSIM, cSIM, SIMOTA) move the CDMA SIM from the old phone to the new phone and re-activate again in the Republic app. If the phones require different formats, follow these instructions to request a new CDMA SIM card from the Republic Help Team: How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help

3) Existing My Choice CDMA phone upgrade or replace with My Choice phone bought from a third party.**

Before purchasing a phone from any third party, review this valuable document to help ensure that you are picking a compatible phone.

A third party or BYOP phone on My Choice requires activation with a GSM SIM card. Open a ticket or “Member Advice” message, to request guidance to acquire a GSM SIM card to activate your new BYOP phone. Install or update the RW app on your new phone and then follow the activation instructions in the RW app. Be sure to use the same login credentials as your existing phone and watch carefully for the option to move your number to the new phone. At the end of the activation process, the new phone will get your phone number and the old phone will be deactivated.
If you notice a difference in coverage and prefer the coverage of your previous phone, then In accordance with the guidance you received from support, replace the GSM SIM card with either the CDMA SIM card from the old phone (within 20 days of deactivation) or a new CDMA SIM card sent to you by RW. Re-activate again in the Republic app.

Moto X 4 question
Please help me transfer my number to my new phone
Switching from Samsung J3 to Moto G6
Switching from Samsung J3 to Moto G6
Best phone for video and pictures for a Travel Agent
Steps required to upgrade phone
I'm upgrading to a new phone
How do I move my phone number to a Pixel 2?
Moving from Moto X Pure to Moto X 4
Switching BYOP SIM Card to a Pixel 3