Fixing poor performance on cable service with a new router

I discussed in another thread how poorly my RW phone was working over my downgraded Internet connection. Couple that with poor cell service and I had a real problem that I needed to fix.
This led me to research into issues related to poor performance on my cable connection. If you run the DSLreports speed test:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
and find that you get a poor rating due to bufferbloat, there is one dual-band wireless home router that will help you fix that problem.
The Evenroute IQrouter is a repurposed tp-link 2.4/5 GHz router that retails for $60. Evenroute burns new firmware into that hardware (likely one of the open source router OSs like dd-wrt or tomato) and wraps a nice UI around the whole thing for an $80 add-on fee.
The IQrouter runs Smart Queue Management (SQM), a designation for a small collection of advanced queue management protocols that have been designed and tested a decade ago, but have never been incorporated into consumer routers, but are available in open source OSs like linux, dd-wrt, tomato and others.
In my case, interference from my “smart” TV was a key issue in making my internet connection slower. Smart TVs and wireless printers and perhaps self-contained security cameras can beacon on Wi-Fi so that devices can connect. You need a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to check for these. Simply turn off Wi-Fi in these devices. And perhaps set your frequency bands for less interference. Lower frequencies have greater range.
I tried a Netgear dual-band router with “QoS” to improve my connection but it didn’t help. None of the alleged QoS features on Netgear, Dlink, Linksys, etc. work well or implement SQM. Only the IQrouter (and the wired Ubiquiti Edgerouter X) support SQM. That is the only reason I am recommending the IQrouter to upgrade your router with SQM. It has dual-band wireless and comes complete to replace your old wi-fi router. You don’t have to install tomato or dd-wrt or some other firmware to make SQM work.
Does SQM work? It has eliminated bufferbloat on my 10/1 Mbps cable service and improved my VoIP service from RW. I no longer have issues with my phone connections over wi-fi. The IQrouter won’t make your connection faster, but it will make it “quicker”.
For those with DSL service, Evenroute has a line monitoring feature to detect "“sag” in your throughput due to overloading during peak periods. I cannot test that feature, but I mention it in case you have DSL issues and see your throughput vary during the day.

I don’t hold much faith in dslreprots speedtester.
It give far lower speedtests than most other test sites, like speedtest.net. and my own ISP custom server speedtest.
Back when i had Centurylink DSL, it was low for buffer bloat.
Now, with my 1gig fiber service from another ISP, it shows very high buffer bloat or just the dash as in failed, however, I am unable to prove/reproduce that result via any other test. And I have had zero issues.

These speedtest and network diagnostics are HIGHLY dependent on many variables that you have no control over. Location and distance between you and the test server, which often will auto change every test u run, server load at the ext time, line conditions and any latency in the routing hops along the path.

I at one point, had rented a hosted dedicated server, one in my same state, about 10 miles from me and one in the same location as the closest test server locations for DSL reports. Hosted my own custom network testing program a buddy of mine did for me as well as a iperf3 test. Buffer bloat was nearly non existent in those tests. (i have a Edgerouter ER-4)

Just looking via Google, many forum posts of folks question the accuracy of dslreports. Not to say that that test can be useful in troubleshooting issues, just that one should not always focus on just one thing that such tests may report to be an issue. In the end, if your connection is junk, no amount of tweaks, or protocols can fix that.

Must have crossed my eyes and fingers just right today. Did a speed test with dslreports speedtest, SpeedOf.Me and our provider. All three came within a few Mbps of each other. Just shows that sometime things work.

Background - Found this interesting because less than a day ago we called our provider because we were only getting half of the speed we pay for in our plan. We had a similar problem about a year ago and went through three levels of techs for troubleshooting. In the end they said they found nothing but within a day the speed was up and has been stable for over a year.

They of course wanted to send a low level tech out and start troubleshooting all over again. The real kicker, less than 24 hours before we called we were getting all of the advertised speed (+). In fact, provider had sent a customer-wide E-mail saying they had increase our speed with no additional cost.

We know there has been absolutely no change in in-hose cabling and equipment (like a router firmware update). That’s why we often start troubleshooting by running tests using all three sites. Please don’t think we’re ranting about provider, just giving example of a recent issue for us.

We agree with @SpeedingCheetah - “In the end, if your connection is junk, no amount of tweaks, or protocols can fix that.” We always read these types of posts just to see if there are any other tricks to help when we have problems!

I might put some weight on your lack of faith in dslreports, but you offered no alternative speed test site.

@kwe There are many, and what u should chose depends on what u need and what is closest to you. And i did in fact link to speedtest.net, which, btw, is what the most popular.

I also mentioned my ISP provides one, and I also used iperf3 and a custom made one, that would not work for any one else but me and my computer and test server.

I have a Bookmark folder of about 20 other sites that do various network tests, not just speedtests, To post that is beyond the scope of this topic.

I’ll chime in with my favorite. https://sourceforge.net/speedtest/

Message an
Expert customer