FM radio on Moto E4

Can the FM radio chip in RW’s Moto E4 be activated without interfering with RW’s proprietary software/firmware? If so, what is the safest way to activate the chip?

TeaDan

Hi @TeaDan,

There is no Republic proprietary firmware on the Moto E4 or any other 3.0 phone. Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service is implemented entirely in the Republic 3.0 app.

The above said, there was never any conflict between Republic’s service and FM radio chips said to be in various Republic supported phones. It’s always been solely the manufacturer’s choice to enable (or not to) that chip. For what it’s worth, according to GSM Arena, the Moto E4’s FM radio chip is already enabled. Is that not the case for your E4?

2 Likes

Have you checked your app drawer for the FM Radio? That’s all I’ve need to do with my phones.

1 Like

Hi @TeaDan,

I have an E4 in my hand right now, and the FM radio is enabled and functional.

1 Like

I don’t yet have a Moto E4, but I notice that MANY GSMarena.com specs for cell phones list the presence of an FM chip. From what I’ve read, it’s up to the carrier that sells it to specify to the manufacturer whether to supply the FM chip as activated or not, and virtually all cell phones sold by carriers until this year don’t have the chip activated. T-Mobil, for instance, announced last Fall that the new model cell phones that it would sell in 2017 would have the chip activated. But that hasn’t started, yet, for some unknown reason. It’s good to hear that the Moto E4, at least the version sold by RW, has the FM chip activated.

TeaDan

That’s encouraging. Did you buy your Moto E4 from RepublicWiress?

TeaDan

@southpaw is a Republic staffer. I’m quite confident she acquired her E4 from Republic directly.

I’m unable to speak to what you’ve read about carriers specifying to manufacturers whether or not to enable the FM radio chip. I can say no phones currently sold by Republic including the Moto E4 is specifically manufactured for Republic. They are North American factory unlocked variants unmodified by Republic in any way. An E4 purchased from Republic is no different than an E4 purchased from Motorola directly or other 3rd party merchant. You have no worries.

2 Likes

Hi @TeaDan,

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. I am using the E4 that RW sells and it is activated on RW’s service. Unlike our legacy phones, the phones we now sell do not have proprietary operating systems.

Here’s the app in the app drawer, first row, 2nd column:

When you launch, it explains that quality will be better with a wired headset plugged in:

When you’re tuned into a station, there’s some info on the screen about the station you are listening to, or the song playing, (depending on what info the station provides).

I turned off Wi-Fi, and as you can see, I don’t have a cellular signal at my house. FM radio still works:

3 Likes

SP, a question for you. No reception unless headphones plugged in and I’m unable to use phone’s or a BT speaker. Found no settings to change. Do you know of any setting to disable the headphones or a workaround. Thanks.

Hi @williamo.vkbg0s,

Plug in the headset so it can work as an antenna.

Tap the speaker icon shown at the bottom left of the 94.7 screenshot I posted above. Audio will play on the phone’s speaker phone.

I turned on my previously-paired Bluetooth headset and audio moved from the phone’s speakerphone to the Bluetooth headset.

And now, I’m turning it off. I can only take so much of Today’s Best Country.

1 Like

southpaw,

Thank you so much. Now I can find some thing laying around here to use as a nice shorter antenna and take real advantage of my FM Radio…

Enjoy your off time.

2 Likes

Thank you, southpaw and rolandh for the info, and especially to southpaw for the screen shots and the reply about switching to speaker mode.

TeaDan

3 Likes

Oh, BTW, here is just one reason why I, and perhaps others, had to ask:

It lists in the Moto E4’s specifications (under “Connectivity”) that there is no FM.

And as was pointed out, this conflicts with GSMarena:
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e4-8721.php
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e4_(usa)-8665.php (USA version)
both of which say that there is “FM radio”.

TeaDan

1 Like

leen,

Thanks, very similar to what I’ll likely use.

I wonder if something like this would work

FM+Radio+Antenna+for+Mobile+Cell+Phone

1 Like

My headphones I use with my laptop do not work with the FM radio on Moto E4. I can use them as an antenna, but I actually want to hear the radio on my headphones. Any suggestions?

Do you have a case on the E4 that may be preventing the plug from going all the way in?

I will check that. Thanks.

And BTW, they are not really headphones, just some earbuds, but I don’t think that should matter, right?

Buds should work fine.

Message an
Expert customer