For those who updated to Marshmallow on Moto X (1st gen), how is the performance and battery life? Would you recommend updating or sticking with Lollipop?

For those who updated to Marshmallow on Moto X 1st gen, how is the performance and battery life? Do you recommend updating?

The Moto X (1st gen) will not be getting the Marshmallow update. Lollipop is the highest Android Version that phone will be getting.

I see… Then I guess my phone is trying to update from 5.1 to 5.1.1? Do you have any experience with that?

I have a Moto X 1st gen that is Android Version 5.1 with no updates from Motorola pending. What are you seeing on your phone?

I have 5.1, and I get a daily pop up to “install system update.”

Looking at it closer, I see this is actually to update Motorola software to 22.21.1 I think it’s actually a security update…

My Moto X 1st still has good battery life the few time I still use it (Most of the time it is just sitting in a drawer as it been my backup phone since before the 5.1 lollipop upgrade

I did the update due to the Post Dial Delay issue would some time occur on the phone and the upgrade to the OS was part of the solution if you are not having issues with the phone I would leave well enough alone

if you do go ahead with the upgrade make sure follow the steps here Moto X (1st Gen.) Lollipop 5.1 System Update

@joelleb.pa2dli It doesn’t look like you have the complete identification of the update. Please check it against this:

Moto X (1st Gen.) Lollipop 5.1 System Update

If this matches what’s in the document then first clear your Android System Cache and do the update:

https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-1947-clearing-the-cache#androidcache4

That information is old. The phone went through a security update around August of 2016.

See. Moto G and X (1st Gen.) SMR Updates

Hi Joelleb,

You asked “phone is trying to update from 5.1 to 5.1.1? Do you have any experience with that?”. If you haven’t already, my short answer is DO NOT UPGRADE.

Long story. I got the same upgrade notification dating back to late 2016. It was this update. Moto G and X (1st Gen.) SMR Updates

I installed that update. My phone performs SAME AS BEFORE, without any noticeable difference. HOWEVER, one of the previous issue also remains the same. That is, my phone occasionally failed to boot in every several months, which could only be fixed by flashing the SAME version ROM again. I described that symptom and its solution in my 4500+ views post here: Moto X 1st Gen keeps restarting (even after factory reset). What now?

Now, my phone failed again yesterday (Mar 24, 2017). But this time, my phone refuses to downgrade from 5.1.1 to the 5.1 version ROM, and I can not find a new 5.1.1 version of ROM, now my phone becomes a brick, finally. It still bothers me that neither Republic Wireless or Moto releases the ROM to experienced users to let them help themselves, even after these many years and the Moto X 1st gen has kinda become a legacy phone. Otherwise I could fix this in 10 minutes.

RIP

My Moto X 1st Gen

(Early 2014 - Mar 24, 2017)

Message an
Expert customer