Fraudulent text?

What phone do you have?
Moto G5 plus

What plan are you on?
My Choice + 1gb

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Yes

My wife, who has the same model phone as me, received a text saying it was from me, but I didn’t send it (and it doesn’t show up on my phone). When we view details of that particular text, it indicates that it was received at 12:17 am this morning, but that it also wasn’t sent until 10:17am this morning.

Should we be concerned? I’m guessing given the strange time difference the text originated from somewhere on the other side of the world. Does this mean someone was just able to disguise the originating number and make it look like mine? But if that’s the case, how would they know our phone numbers are ‘connected’ to each other through marriage?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The first part of your question is indeed a mystery, if you didn’t send the text.

The time offset between sent and received time stamps is a known issue.
See here for more details.

Wow, interesting mystery. Can you share the body of the text message? That might give us a clue.

I’ve received email messages from friends whose accounts have been compromised. Any chance an account of yours that contains your phone number has been compromised?

One additional possibility I can think of is your phone number being under someone else’s name in your wife’s contact list.