Free Access to 30 Million WiFi Hotspots

These are vetted and verified hotspots. As with any public hotspot common sense recommendations apply including not doing high security things such as banking while connected.

I went to Lowe’s in Clemson, SC today. Before entering the store I looked at my RW moto g5+ and saw that it was connected to the store WiFi. I looked at my moto g6 Fi phone and it showed the connected WiFi icon with a small x and a WiFi? notification. I clicked on the notification, checked a box, and submitted. Then I was on. Score one for RW.

When I got to Verified WIFI Hotspot Settings, I cannot click on the button to enable. I have a newer phone.

At the very top of the page you’ll find: System Announcement: Please wait to enable the Wi-Fi Hotspots Feature! - We have identified an issue that is preventing members from enabling the Wi-Fi Hotspots feature. If you have a spinning circle that continues to spin for more than 10 minutes, please open a support ticket and ask that the ticket be investigated as part of Master Ticket # 1412473. If you are simply noticing that the toggle switch does not respond, that is to be expected until we resolve this issue. We ask that you wait and try again later. You can monitor the situation for updates at: https://status.republicwireless.com/incidents/mlsjr6ymy9rl

It is a bummer that it isn’t available to those of us with the refund plans. Will it become available to us in the future? We’re some of the most loyal Republic Wireless customers out there!

I’m using a Moto 3G. It’s about 2 years old.

Both my wife and I use Moto G4 phones. We can get to the “Enable Free Wifi Connectivity” page, but neither of our phones will allow us to toggle this feature on. What might the problem be? Thanks.

It will not become available for the legacy phones.

It is not possible to use with the G3 or any of the legacy devices (Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1, E2 or Defy XT).

At the very top of this page, and numerous times in this thread: " System Announcement: Please wait to enable the Wi-Fi Hotspots Feature! - We have identified an issue that is preventing members from enabling the Wi-Fi Hotspots feature. If you have a spinning circle that continues to spin for more than 10 minutes, please open a support ticket and ask that the ticket be investigated as part of Master Ticket # 1412473. If you are simply noticing that the toggle switch does not respond, that is to be expected until we resolve this issue. We ask that you wait and try again later. You can monitor the situation for updates at: https://status.republicwireless.com/incidents/mlsjr6ymy9rl"

While this sounds like a great idea, I will not be enabling this feature. Too many of the hot spots are Comcast’s Xfinity hotspots. It took me weeks to finally clear any shred of Xfinity from my phone. It is an insidious wifi that took over my phone. At home my phone would not connect to my wifi with a strong signal. Instead, Xfinity would make it connect to my neighbor’s wifi with a marginal signal at best. Even after manually changing the connection to my own, it would still reconnect to my neighbor’s. Nope. No Xfinity on my phone.

I’m running app v 2.16… this feature is not present on this app… I have a Moto X (1st gen)…
Sad - would have been a nice feature add.
Technically, this is a WIFI feature, not a Cell feature - so no reason it could not be supported on the older apps. Is there a reason RW doesn’t want to support this on the older 2.1 app? My guess is they don’t want to put developers on the older app as they want to switch us to the newer service plan (without the Beta discount) which costs more (than the Beta discounted plan) for my usage…

If you had the Xfinty app on your phone, then that would auto connect to any and all Xfinty branded hotspots. Removing that app and also going into System settings and “Forgetting” the Xfiinty wifi should prevent any auto connecting.

I actuly am around many Xfinty hotspots, and the R.W feature does not connect to them.

I can’t comment on the business decisions that Republic makes, but you are likely correct, the old app is no longer being actively developed since it is a discontinued platform. As far as your beta discount, you certainly can carry it over to the new plans, just as you have on the plans you have now.

What about those of us that have older phones? I checked for an update, but it says I have the latest version (v2.1.5.2311).

Are we left out in the cold because we don’t purchase new phones on a regular basis? My phone still works fine, and I don’t feel the need to replace it.

Those legacy phones used custom ROMs (or software) on them with Republic services backed into it and only worked on R.W. A very different thing than the current unlocked My Choice compatible phones. That previous platform and software is outdated and no longer being worked on or updated. And will eventually become fully obsolete. But for now, they continue to work as they are.

Technology is ever improving and evolving. If you want the latest feature, you will need to upgrade to a more modern, supported device.

Thanks for your help. I get the spinning circle, but just for a few seconds, and then the switch reverts to the OFF position.

Jerry

Hi @jerrys.nvlacr,

We’ll update our status page when the feature can be enabled.

Thank you!

As i note a couple of other posts, when I attempt to enable it pops back to disabled. I’ve no idea why.