Funky connection question

What phone do you have?
Moto G4

What plan are you on?
My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
1GB

Issue Description

At our regular vacation spot in rural Maine we’re having a funky reception issue. There is a tower nearby (about a mile or so) and friends with Verizon phones say they get decent service. We do not. Calls seem to come through, at least sporadically. We cannot call or text out. Data works sporadically – I’ll try to check email and get a “no service” message… but then a few hours later I’ll check and all of a sudden I have email.

For status info on the phone:

The Republic arc is empty blue

The status bar says 3G, but there is an empty isosceles triangle next to it.
Below that is the usual right triangle that show signal strength. This is partially filled, but with an “X” in the lower right hand corner.

Getting closer to the tower doesn’t seem to resolve the issue.

Anyway, I’m curious about two things:

1. What these various status symbols mean;

2. Why is the service sporadic? And why would be be able to receive calls but not send?

The triangle means that the phone is roaming because the native carrier network for your device has no coverage there. Would you mind opening the Republic App and then hitting the gear at the top and then About. What does it say there for “SIM Type”?

This means data is not available to you. This is normal as roaming is call/text only.

That likely means the carrier you’re roaming on isn’t on that tower.

When roaming service is not always reliable as neither Republic nor its cellular partner controls the connection or service. Roaming is always “best effort” and often is spotty.

All that said, if you’ll provide the SIM type we can see which carrier you’re using, which you’re most likely to be roaming on and whether Republic’s other cellular partner might be a better choice for where you are (please share a ZIP code or more specific city).

1 Like

Thank you – that’s very helpful.

The SIM type is CDMA (CSIM). This location is Turner, Maine (04266)

CDMA indicates that your phone is activated with Sprint as the network partner. Looking at the area there neither of Republic’s partners has coverage of their own. AT&T, Verizon and US Cellular seem to own the only native coverage there. Neither of Republic’s partners (Sprint & T-Mobile) have coverage there.

So, bottom line, coverage with Republic in that area is going to be iffy and dependent on roaming arrangements which are, flaky. While it pains me to say this, if you spend any significant time in that area, you’d be better served with AT&T, Verizon or US Cellular as your carrier.

1 Like

While disappointing that there’s no easy solution, I really appreciate the straightforward answer - thank you. Fortunately, our time up there is generally limited to about a week a year, so there’s no need to switch. RW serves us quite well the other 51 weeks of the year and frankly, a week with iffy cell service is not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Once upon a time, humanity managed 52 weeks a year with no cell service. :clown_face: We even left our homes without a phone attached to us. Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not looking to go back to that. I simply appreciate perspective when I see it.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer