Galaxy J7 now prompts for Wi-Fi, has always worked without Wi-Fi before

What phone do you have? Samsung Galaxy J7 Model SM-J727U Android version 7.0

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? no data, only talk/text

Issue Description

since beginning w/Republic several years ago, I successfully made cell calls anywhere in the Atlanta area, and especially from my residence that has no wifi, with flawless success. NOW Republic phone tells me to LAUNCH WIFI SETTINGS at my residence. I never had this dilemma before…it asked me to give a password for some wifi nearby called “two dorks”…creepy.

Thank you…simply, that there is no wifi tower in my house, never has been. one other issue…VolPing seems like a crutch this past 2 months maybe less…I was instructed by one of Republic’s helpers to use it…it works…but I seem to always need it since my calls around the Atlanta area always get a busy signal. Thank you f/ yr patience.

Generally, troubleshooting with Republic is going to require a wifi connection. Without one, we won’t be able to take the normal steps. Do be aware that Republic is designed as a wifi first service so although wifi isn’t required, Republic does do things to urge you to use wifi.

All that being said, do you have access to wifi somewhere so we can troubleshoot?

Yes I have WiFi at this location.

What phone do you have? galaxy J7

What plan are you on? TALK/TEXT

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? DITTO

Issue Description

Not sure what you’re looking for. Having service with Republic doesn’t provide you passwords for nearby wifi. You either have your own access, or it has to be part of the Republic Wifi network (https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/new-feature-free-access-to-30m-nationwide-republic-wifi-hotspots/17004) which includes a limited number of wifi networks.

for the past years since I began w/Republic, I have never been asked to search for wifis and then connect w/ one of them. so, now that I am being directed by my republic cell to do so…the list of nearby WIFIS includes required passwords to access the WIFI in question. I wow. just about everywhere I go, a password is requested/required…thanks, but no thanks to pay for data. that’s why I signed up w/Republic. Thank you for yr patience, I am ignorant of the digital device communication network. Grateful for your assistance. R.H.

Hi @roseh.g289f9,

I’ve moved your Wi-Fi password topic into your previous J7 topic so we can better understand the full scope of what you’re experiencing.

thank you…did you see my last request? all wifis my cell pulls up require a password for access…

Hi @roseh.g289f9,

If you’re logged in and looking at your topic here: Galaxy J7 now prompts for Wi-Fi, has always worked without Wi-Fi before

Everyone can see the same thing you can see there. It’s a public topic for our Community to troubleshoot with you.

thank you…did you see my last question? all WIFIS my cell pulls up require a password for access…

I suspect you are seeing all you neighbor’s and other close by hotspots. These are not part of the RW network, but can be used if you have the password.

Message an
Expert customer