Galaxy J7 stopped working when I lost my internet connection

What phone do you have? Galaxy J7

What plan are you on? My Choice

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Talk and text

Issue Description

On May 27, my internet connection went off. CenturyLink was out. My phone went off, too. That amazed me b/c I should have been able to use my cellular connection. Instead the phone was relying on WiFi. Why would I pay for WiFi-only service? No one would.

What steps I took: I went through settings and made sure everything was in order. It was. I surely have not used up my cellular minutes. I seldom talk or text. There was nothing else I could think of to do. If there is something else, please tell me.

I don’t have a home phone any more. I wanted to call but none of my close neighbors were home. Since I’m elderly, I am supposed to stay home. During the shutdown, my car battery went dead, so I couldn’t drive anywhere, to find a phone. In my older years, I am uncomfortable being without a phone for more than a couple of hours.

I appreciate any light you can shed on this problem.

Hello @mwc :slight_smile:

Here are a few things to look at and try…
Please check the setting in the Republic App to make sure “Data Freeze” is not on.

Does your J7 show any cell bars?
Has your Century link WiFi been restored?
If it has (or when you can get to a WiFi connection) please try an Activation Refresh.

You’ll need to go to the phone app and enter Screenshot_2019-08-26 Member Community
Then press the dial button.

Full instructions here:

Please let us know if this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Additionally, here are a couple of other thoughts

• If Century Link went out, your WiFi would still be active, and perhaps your phone didn’t properly switch over to Cell?
    • Try going in the :settingsicon: Android Settings and turn off the WiFi
  • I would think that with no Internet connection, you would want to limit the use of the phones cellular data?
    • I am not sure of how Republics Data Freeze would work on your phone but after you re-establish communication, you may want to check it out
      Stay safe :mask: … a fellow elderly that has been at home for the last 3 months.

Hello SuperT and jben–

I appreciate both replies. I’m sick right now (nothing scary), When I’m better, I will get back to both of you.

1 Like

Hope you feel better!
We’ll be here when you do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer