Galaxy S10e - Will it work?

I just received a Galaxy S10e I bought on Amazon. It is advertised as unlocked, but the box I received has the AT&T logo on it. It is model SM-G970U. Before I open the box, is there a way to tell if this will work with Republic?

Hi @jacklone and welcome back to the Community. @louisdi has a great document in Tips & Tricks about finding a compatible phone.

Based on the following section from that document it looks like the SM-G970U is not compatible.

On the phone: The model number listed MUST be SM-G950U1, SM-G955U1, SM-N950U1, SM-N960U1, SM-G960U1, SM-G965U1, SM-G970U1, SM-G973U1, SM-G975U1, SM-N970U1 or SM-N975U1. The “1” is very important. Unlike previous Samsung phones, the plain “U” version is NOT factory unlocked, and therefore NOT compatible with Republic.

Here’s another article that might help -

I’m sure @louisdi or others can correct me if there has been any recent changes to the model number usage. Hopefully these documents will have the information you need to help you locate a compatible phone.

1 Like

Which unlocked?

Carrier unlocked (can be used on any major carrier) sometimes called SIM Unlocked
and
Factory Unlocked.

2 different things.

Republic only support Factory Unlocked, North American models.

A phone model that is made for a carrier, like ATT, that is later Carrier or SIM unlocked, will not work on Republic. This is because the software on those phones still are modified by the original carrier and make it not possible to work on the RW network.

@freddyp is correct. You’ve received an AT&T Unlocked phone, not a Factory Unlocked phone. Unfortunately this means it is incompatible with Republic. The best advice I have is what’s found in the article Freddy quoted.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I was suspicious and, it turns out, with good reason. This one goes back! Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer