Gen1 Moto X not sending MMS pictures to some numbers

Thought I’d ask the community before I open a ticket. For some reason, there are a few people (some local, some on the other side of the country) that don’t seem to be able to receive a picture I’m sending them, and yet other people it goes right through. Both of my recent instances claim their phones receive pix from other people. I’m using the original text app that was native to the phone.

Anyone else been having similar trouble?

1 Like

Let’s try switching out the messaging app as the one that came with the X1 is long discontinued by Google. Try downloading the Google Messages App from the Play Store and see if this resolves the issue for you.

4 Likes

Okay, I downloaded and installed the Messages app (blue icon with little white text bubble), and that at least solved the problem of sending and receiving MSM texts. However, it created a whole new problem in that the new app has nearly bricked my phone in the amount of memory and battery life it’s consuming. ALL other apps are now critically slow, and the Messages app is eating >30% of my battery, and the phone has become noticeably physically hotter.

This can happen after switching the app for a short while as the app reindexes everything in your message store. How long has it been?

I installed the new app in early August, so probably just over a month now.
battery consumption attributed to Messages averages 31-35%.

And this is still happening? The app is still using over 30% of your battery?

yes. very frustrating, and I’ve actually worried the phone is going to explode in my pocket.

That certainly isn’t right. I’m going to assume that in that time you’ve powered the phone on and off several times, if not, please start by trying that.

Assuming that’s right please go to Settings – Applications and find Messages. In there select the “Clear Data” button. It may be under “Storage” (honestly I haven’t used a phone that old in quite a while to I’m not 100% sure on the menus). You’ll get this big long warning about losing data, but you won’t. Once that finishes us, restart the phone. See if that resolves it.

Yeah, the battery getting pulled down that hard has killed the phone several times unless I really watch it and keep it charging. I’ll try the data dump and reboot and let you know.

1 Like

Found the app in storage, but no “clear data” button. 2 processes and 1 service appear to be running. SystemAlarmService is the only thing available to stop, although it cautions you that doing so may cause the app to fail. Main process says it is using ~175MB (or more) of ram.

also seems to be running two iterations of itself, with the 2nd running “jibeservice”, but the 2nd is only consuming about 15MB of ram.

Hmm, the second things points me in another direction to try. Open the App to the list of all your messages, on the top right click the three dots, select Settings and then Chat Features. Under there turn OFF “enable chat features”.

So should I “stop” the two available “services”? That seems to the only actionable option from this menu.

Just start with turning off chat services.

“Hmm, the second things points me in another direction to try. Open the App to the list of all your messages, on the top right click the three dots, select Settings and then Chat Features. Under there turn OFF “enable chat features”.”

ok

“chat features” doesn’t seem to have a way to disable it, and when I tapped the area, it said it isn’t an option on my phone.

OK, thanks. So we’re back to clearing data. Let’s see if you can find what we need this way. If you go to Settings – Applications can you find Messages there? If so, when you click in to it, what buttons do you see there?

that may have been more fruitful… several options:
force stop
uninstall
clear cache
clear defaults

You can start by force stopping and then clear cache. After that restart the phone.

will do.

Message an
Expert customer