Get no cell coverage

What phone do you have?
Moto E4 plus
What plan are you on?
$20 a month
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
2G

Issue Description

Why do I get such horrible cell coverage. I was in Northern Virginia in a very populated area and I was getting NO cell service (this happens often if I’m away from my actual home). It said emergency calls only. Also, sometimes I won’t get a text for hours after it’s sent to me. Very frustrating. Makes it tempting to switch carriers.

Hi @Lmjut2 I live in Northern VA (out by Dulles) and spend my days all over Northern VA, DC, Suburban MD and even WV. With both carrier partners I have pretty outstanding coverage short of some known bad areas that are bad with every carrier (and everyone from the area deals with).

Can you be a bit more specific about the area where you had this issue and also on your phone please open the Republic App, click the little gear at the top and then About and tell us what it says there for SIM Type?

SIM: GSM

I was at the outlets in Leesburg, but it has happened in other public places. Also, my data is almost worthless. It takes forever to load and sometimes never loads. And what dates to I go by? When I school from the top and hit Republic it says one date range for data usage, but when I look under data in the app it gives me another date range.

Thanks for your help.

I’m in that area all time (in fact I’m there now) on a GSM activated device and have great coverage and great data speeds (40Mbps is pretty standard).

So, that leads me to something up with your phone. Let’s try some steps to see if we can make any progress.

Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

1. Reset your Republic credentials by opening the dialer as if making a call and enter *#*#8647#*#* (in on a Samsung phone hit the dial button). The screen should clear, when it does, restart the phone. If this fixes it, stop.

2. This one is more complicated. This step will clear out any saved connections for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that you may have already made. We’re going to reset the network settings.
    Go to Settings > Backup and Reset > Network settings reset
    Read the warning, tap “Reset settings.” You will be warned a second time. Tap “Reset settings” to confirm. The process will usually take 5-10 seconds and the cellular signal bars icon will go away for a moment. Once the cell signal bars icon returns, you should reboot the phone.

Have you changed the date range in the phones data usage display to match your billing cycle as shown in the rw app data usage?

I was able to do the first one, so hopefully it helped. Thank you for your time.

Hi @Lmjut2,

The steps that @louisdi provided were not either/or options. They were sequential steps. In order to see improvement, please make sure you complete the second step, as well.

And I also want to be sure you saw the reply from @Majorninth. The dates you see in the Android Settings app are user-configurable. You need to set them to match your Republic Wireless billing cycle if you want them to align.

Message an
Expert customer