Get ready for an improved Republic Wireless

Hi @jeffj.fl2ojw and welcome to the Community!

Republic Anywhere will not work with forthcoming new plans.

Unless and until Republic says otherwise, Anywhere will continue to work with My Choice and 1.0/2.0 plans.

It’s important for existing members to note, they will not be required to move to new plans when they launch in December though depending upon the details, one may want to do so.

1 Like

If we do switch to the new plans, will current devices still work? Just about to activate my new Moto 5g One Ace. Or should I hold off?

Hi @verizonguy,

Everything sold this year in the Republic Wireless online store will work on the new plans.
Please let us know what you think of your new Moto One 5G Ace in our #reviews category!

3 Likes

After reading through this thread, and also reading some tea leaves, I assume that

1. the new plans will have at least as good, probably better rates than My Choice
  2. The new plans will be on AT&T, with no option for T Mobile

If I’m right, I will switch my Pixel 5A5G from the free trial of Google Fi to one of the new Republic plans. Then I will see how well AT&T service works in my area. If OK I will probably switch my existing phones from My Choice to one of the new plans.

I’ve been with Republic for 8 years (they just sent me a reminder) and I am confident that the new plans will be an improvement. My only concern is AT&T service. That, and my free Google Fi expires December 15, so I hope the announcement of the new plans is very early December.

6 Likes

Republic and Boost do indeed share the same parent company, DISH Wireless, LLC, itself a subsidiary of DISH, Inc. That said, whether forthcoming Republic plans look like Boost’s plans, Ting’s plans, etc. remains a wait and see proposition. I would point out with the exception of their $50 and $60 unlimited options, Boost’s plans are specifically marketed as being for new customers. Perhaps, I’m missing it and linking to Boost’s (or another competitor’s) website would be contrary to Community guidelines, however, I’m unable to find any information regarding what Boost’s rates going forward would be once the new customer pricing expires.

:thinking: Will WiFi calling still be a feature? This is a very important to me. I can can have a TB of data and WiFi calling would be a higher priority. Also, would I need a new SIM card? Will my old one be able to switch from TM to AT&T? Or will RW ship out new ones? My other question would be I already paid for a full years service. Would I be able to switch to a different upcoming plan and be credited somehow? I am looking forward to seeing these new changes and seeing a larger selection of phones to pick from. Hope this news comes EARLY December, within the first week at least. I would like to shop for a new phone for myself and a family member. :gift: :christmas_tree:

In short, yes. Republic pioneered WiFi calling in 2011 but the rest of the cellular industry wasn’t sleeping nor did Republic’s success escape them. Today, 10 years later, the rest of the industry also offers WiFi calling and text messaging. The industry standard implementation works differently from Republic’s. Generally, it’s cell first with WiFi as a backup (the opposite of Republic’s WiFi first approach). One is not necessarily better than the other.

I would also add that for cell data, all smartphones (both Androids and iPhones) are WiFi first. Republic didn’t pioneer that though Republic deserves credit for creating a WiFi first culture surrounding cell phone use. That doesn’t have to change. It’s up to each of us to determine for ourselves.

Generally, SIM cards are network specific, so new plans may very well require a new SIM. Republic will spell all this out when the time comes.

Republic is on the record as saying they’ll work with members on this. You may wish to read the FAQ section of the top post.

I think we’d all like to hear more sooner rather than later. But, it’s also important to me that Republic get it right. So, I’m prepared to be patient. I very much appreciate this can be a difficult time of year for that.

4 Likes

Boost or somebody who works there apparently let info on their new plans leak out. Not saying I wish somebody at RW would do that, but it would be great to know which phones will be good to go on their new plans. Google currently has the Pixel 5a5G on sale for $399, and I’m afraid that price won’t hold into December.

I don’t think Boost’s announcement was a leak, it was an actual announcement by press release on 11/18.

I concur. The $100 unlimited talk & text plus 1 GB of cell data is available on Boost’s website for new customers only. New customers only would seem to be the caveat attached to Boost’s “carrier crusher” plan offerings.

There are always caveats. One just decides which caveats they’re willing and able to accept for service they find provides value overall.

2 Likes

Do they have a return window?

1 Like

I am planning to buy a Pixel 5a 5G on Nov. 26th, because the return window becomes much longer starting on that date. I’ll be able to return it for free through Jan 10th - the restocking fee also goes away for the holidays starting on the 26th.

3 Likes

Thanks for answering that question. It definitely helps my planning. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Edited and updated.
Apparently, freedom of speech from a member going on 9+ years is difficult to swallow?:thinking:

Interesting vague future of Republic announcement with no real information commitment. :neutral_face:

I imagine we might be expecting a few days of service loss for the handover from VoIP to cellular.

I imagine it’s a logistical nightmare with 200,000+ subscribers.
:round_pushpin:This has been my personal experience when my other 7 family members have moved their numbers out. Switching took days if not weeks to handover.:cry:

I for one think that if they are not going with the larger T-Mobile then Verizon is starting to oddly enough look good again. :roll_eyes:

I will say that with the new great plans being offered by Google Fi and Spectrum wireless (ie: Verizon) it’s going to have to be a heavy hitter to keep anyone and keep up.

1 Like

With all due respect, your post is speculative at best, and not productive. You can have a beef with the transition, but don’t inject problems that haven’t or won’t occur. As you’ve indicated, you have options.

1 Like

I’m going to assume that you haven’t moved many phone numbers in and out of republic wireless over the last 10 years like I have with dozens of friends and family.
Our reality has been days if not weeks to transition from voip to cellular or vice versa.

I’m just one realist who doesn’t mince about.
I save the sugar coating for the children.

One person’s reality isn’t another’s. It really depends on the new carrier. T-Mobile tends to get the ports done in minutes or hours. AT&T often submits the ports to the wrong place and has to resubmit them multiple times an then takes 7-10 days. Verizon varies from 24 hours to about 7 days.

Frankly, the person that you get on the other carrier end, who is setting up the process, makes the big difference. Someone who isn’t a “script jockey” and actually understands porting can accelerate ports significantly. On the other hand, store staff at something like a Metro/Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T Store generally know nothing other than to put your number in one field, your PIN in the 2nd and your account number in the 3rd. Beyond that they have no control nor knowledge of the system and just get a date (which can be long because of the VoIP nature of the numbers) and then have no ability to improve the situation usually telling the customer: “Your old carrier won’t release the number, call them” which is just patently untrue and a way of getting you out of the store or off the phone.

6 Likes

Republic uses the term handover to refer to moving calls between WiFi and cellular. I don’t believe that’s what you refer to, however, please correct me if I’m wrong about that.

I think you’re referring to the fact it often takes longer (days as opposed to hours) to transfer (port) Republic numbers due to their classification as landlines (wireline is the more correct industry term). For the purpose of porting, Republic (and all VoIP) numbers are indeed classified as landlines.

That said, there’s no reason for loss of service while waiting for one’s number to port. Current service (Republic or otherwise) continues until the new provider competes the port (however long it takes them to do so).

I’ve seen no announcement from Republic that suggests there is any intention of mass porting 200,000 Republic numbers at once. Republic has stated details regarding new plans will be forthcoming in December. At that point, current members will have the option of moving to the new plans. Only if they make that choice would it be necessary for Republic to move their number and we also don’t yet know the details of how that will work.

Generally, I don’t hear from many who think Google Fi’s pricing is particularly competitive. Fi’s got some good features for international travel but its plan pricing is nothing special.

Spectrum Mobile, like other cable providers, generally reserves its best pricing for those bundling Internet and/or TV with them. This can be a good deal if one is interested in bundling but not so much if one is not so inclined.

2 Likes

You know I’m expecting good news in December from RW but in hindsight it would have been nice if it happened in November in time for Black Friday deals. I’m sure that the list phones supported will be expanded a lot and pretty much any phone will be supported, but it would be nice to get them and not just bank on it being supported or whatnot. Sure you can return the phone or sell it but if you’re searching for a phone at a good price and want to use it with the new plans available it would be nice to get it at the cheapest price available. There probably will be sales in december or later but maybe not as good or maybe better, who knows. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a list of phones that will be supported before then. Listing phones isn’t giving away too much. They know what they are already. They already announced that new plans and phones are coming on the RW site (stay-tuned). Unless they don’t know yet and that’s not comforting.

Side note: As i googled the RW to get their site, the first search result was Tello. It used to be Mint. Interesting data.

1 Like

Leak Suggests Republic Wireless’s Rebrand Will Take Aim At Consumer Cellular

A previous article from BestMVNO criticized Republic Wireless for seemingly not having a staging site to work on for the rebrand. This take ended up not being entirely correct. The website leak of what are potentially new plans and the rebrand does in fact come from a staging website located at the URL
{staging link redacted}