Getting a new unlocked s9 from bestbuy

If get an new Galaxy s9 unlocked phone from BB. What SIM should I buy to get the phone to work on RW? Is this card available from BB or do I have to order one from RW?

Notable Newbies: Welcome!

RW SIMs are available from RW and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Republic-Wireless-SIM-Starter-Kit/dp/B01J63NYAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid■■■■sr=8-1&keywords=republic+wireless+sim+card

This SIM will work with T-Mobile towers, as will one purchased from RW. If the coverage doesn’t work well for you RW Support will eventually be able to replace it with one that works with Sprint towers but that might be a month or so.

Currently the Samsung S9 and S9+ are GSM only on Republic [they are still working on CDMA for those phones]

1 Like

So the BB unlocked s9 is 2G, 3G, 4G, CDMA, GSM, LTE, TD-SCDMA, WCDMA (UMTS).
RW sells a s9.
Are these two equivalent?

Just keep in mind that Best Buy charges a $35 restocking fee on phones should you choose to return it. I was unsure if the Moto X4 would work for me so I bought it from Best Buy for easy returns if it didn’t and I did not feel like stopping the transaction when they told me about the return fee. If I had known ahead of time, I probably would have purchased it elsewhere.

Well I have a pile of BB gift cards. So it would be nice to use them.

I would to. Just giving you a heads up.

Hi @Majorninth,

Yes. We sell the North American, factory unlocked S9. Although the phone includes CDMA compatibility, we do not yet have a CDMA SIM card for the S9.

2 Likes

So what do I lose not having a cdma sim card available?
Does the coverage map shown still apply for just the gsm?

Republic has 2 different Cell Partners that one phone may be configured for (one or the other not both)
the CDMA partner is Sprint who is changing how they use and what type of SIM used in phones and Republic is adapting to these SIMs (and why new phones do not currently usable on the CDMA partner at first) (currently only the S9 and S9+ are effected by this)
If the GSM partner (T-Mobile) has good coverage for you you will never need the CDMA option (but if the CDMA partner has better coverage you would have to wait until Republic is ready to release the SIM for CDMA before moving to that network
https://republicwireless.com/tools/coverage-map-gsm/
https://republicwireless.com/tools/coverage-map-cdma/

1 Like

So if I get the BB north American unlocked s9 and add the RW TMobile sim card it should work just fine?
Is there any special RW code that needs to be loaded to get it to work (or special rom base)? Or is all the special RW wifi stuff handled in the sim card?

there is no special ROM anymore it done via the Republic SIM and Republic App (and the APIs now included in the base Android build)

Hi @Majorninth,

You will need to install the Republic Wireless app from the Google Play Store and install the RW SIM.

Here’s a question for you: Do you usually use a case on your phone?

1 Like

Yes I do. Do you have a recommendation?

Hi @Majorninth, I don’t have a recommendation to give, but rather, was wondering if you’d like to help out with providing a recommendation to others.

We’ll be adding three cases to our online store in the next few days.

s9case1speck
s9case2incipio
s9case3flip

The flip case is a somewhat new concept for us, but we’ve sold similar versions of the Speck and the Incipio for other models.
If you decide to get the S9 from Best Buy and activate it with RW, I’d love to send you a coupon that would allow you to order your choice of one of these cases from our online store at no cost. The only thing I ask in return is that you write an honest review in our #reviews section of Community and let others know what you think of the case.

Of course, if you prefer to walk out of Best Buy with a case already in hand so the phone is protected from day one, or if you just want something different, I understand!

3 Likes

Turns out the Bestbuy north american unlocked phone does have the ‘1’ in the model number. The model number is printed on the outside of the box. And it is compatible with RW.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer