Getting notifications that text messages have been received. Moto G4

Is there a way to set up notifications that text messages have been received for my Moto G4?

Yes. At least, in newer versions of the Android Messages app, there is a way to get reports on received SMS. Open the Messages app, tap the three vertical dots (menu icon) in the upper right corner of the screen, tap Settings. Go down to Advanced and tap that. Look for “Get SMS delivery reports” and tap.

I hope this helps.

Shoot. I guess my phone isn’t new enough because I don’t get Advanced options in Messages. sigh

It is not about newness of the phone but newness of the specific app that @beachb linked.

The app has the latest upgrade, I guess. I will uninstall and reinstall just to see. Thanks.

Well, it didn’t work, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’m using the factory Messenger, so I would think that this would do it, but it’s not.

I use ChompSMS as my default SMS app. It also has a setting to receive a receipt notice when the message gets read.

Oh! Interesting. I will have to try that. Question, I have backed up all my SMS to Drive. Is Chomp compatible?

Compatible yes, supported no. Translated it means you’re free to use Chomp with the caveat if you run into issues Republic probably will not help you make it work. Fellow Community members like @beachb are glad to help if needed.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help.

1 Like

You’re most welcome!

It was written for a different reason, however, this may still be useful to you: Alternate Text Messaging Apps for Samsung Galaxy S7s. Don’t let the S7 reference fool you. What applies to that applies to your G4 also.

I’m sorry. One more question, please. I now have Chomp but cannot find where I will receive notifications when my texts are viewed. Can you tell me where to find it? I checked the knowledge base and FAQs but do not see it.

I found it!!! Thanks.

2 Likes

I cannot receive MMS messages! error speaks of APN issues. I’ve tried everything. Any suggestions?

You might try the following from the article I linked earlier:

chomp SMS

From the same publisher as Textra, there is chomp SMS. To use it rather than Android Messages as your messaging app:

1. Download chomp SMS from Google’s Play Store here: chomp SMS - Android Apps on Google Play25.
  2. Once installed to your phone, open chompSMS, then tap “Make Default App”.
  3. Tap 3 dots upper right.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Scroll to, then tap MMS.
  6. Tap MMS Behavior.
  7. Select System.
1 Like

This worked! I see where I will get a delivery report, but will it put in the report that they actually viewed it?

No, the only way to get confirmations of something being read is to use an OTT App like Whatsapp (and have the other party use the same). The text messaging system has no means of communicating to you that a message has been read, only that it has been delivered to the other network. Once it is delivered the message no longer “communicates” with the network and there’s no way for your app to know that it has been read.

The wording in the app says “Request a delivery report for every SMS you send”. Once you enable this option, I’m sure you will learn precisely what that means in fairly short order. Since SMS is a simple messaging protocol, I don’t think it would have a means of knowing if someone actually viewed the message. It can only tell you that it delivered the message to the number you sent it to.

thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer