Getting Viber to Register a Republic Number

Once more, we’re starting to see anecdotal reports of Republic members being unable to use Viber with their phones. In the past, Republic members have had varying degrees of success getting Viber to whitelist their numbers. Some detail and a new potential means of convincing Viber to do so follow.

Due to a recent policy change at Viber, Republic members (and others) are finding it not possible to register or reregister their phone numbers with Viber. The policy change in question is Viber no longer accepts Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) numbers for registration purposes.

Republic numbers are indeed VoIP numbers. Republic’s use of VoIP is part of the nature of its blended WiFi/cell service. According to Viber support, they believe; “VoIP numbers are a significant tool in the hands of spammers”. The reality is some services using VoIP based numbers do, more or less, hand out phone numbers to anyone that asks. As we know, Republic does not do so. Obtaining a Republic number requires acquisition of a compatible phone and activating that phone on Republic’s network. Sadly, Viber is not yet making this distinction.

Here’s the new workaround that allowed me to convince Viber to register my Republic number. To start, after installing Viber’s app on my Republic phone, I attempted to register my Republic number. I received the following error (you’ll want to grab a screenshot of this screen on your phone):

Next, I installed WhatsInSIM (a/k/a Sim Card Details) on my phone. Once installed, I opened WhatsInSIM and captured a screenshot of those details.

In order to make this work, it is necessary to raise a ticket with Viber support here: https://support.viber.com/customer/portal/emails/new. After completing Viber’s requested information (for the required Viber phone number use the Republic number you wish to register), I uploaded screenshots of both the VoIP error and the information from WhatsInSIM. When communicating with Viber support, I suggest not mentioning VoIP outside of the Viber error message. In other words, do not acknowledge your Republic number is VoIP (even though it is Viber need not know that). In fact, I didn’t even mention Republic. For the carrier information requested on Viber’s support ticket creation page, I used the “OperatorName” as shown in WhatsInSIM.

Viber support, replied asking me to try again and my Republic number successfully registered.

12 Likes

I’ve been using viber for 2-3 years on my phone. I uninstalled it a while ago because I wouldn’t need it for a few months and I had too many apps on my phone at the time. Now I try to install it again on the same phone and it doesn’t work.

I’ll just find another app rather than jump through a bunch of hoops for no reason. I don’t remember ever getting spammed on viber, I’d say they overreacted so now I’ll overreact too and leave them a bad review on the playstore. Maybe if everyone does this they will get their act together.

1 Like

Hi @waynej,

Candidly, I’m inclined to agree with you. The process I came up with does indeed require jumping through enough hoops, I might look elsewhere. For some, however, those they communicate with prefer Viber or, perhaps, they have other reasons for wanting to stick with Viber. I saw enough requests that folks be able to use their Republic numbers to register with Viber that I took a shot at something I thought might work and documented the process in case it helped someone else.

For international calling (messaging is another issue), I prefer the lesser known services documented here: Adding International Calling to a Republic Phone. Generally, I find them to be less expensive and there’s no requirement for the other end of the conversation to be using the same app or a smartphone at all.

2 Likes

Thank you, rolandh!
Your post was very useful and would have been my next step after writing to Viber directly about my issue. Through your post I resolved to contact Viber directly and plead my case while asserting my number on my Republic Wireless phone was recognized as a wireless number.
I had the same issue with Viber no longer working – on my new Republic Wireless MotoX4 and no longer recognizing my phone number as a cell number though Viber had been working for years on my Republic Wireless MotoX.
To my surprise, the Viber Team responded in less than an hour and informed me they whitelisted my number. Voila - issue resolved and I am back in Viber. This was set to have become a big issue for my family as we are heavy Viber users.
Hope this is helpful to our Community!
Thank you again!

4 Likes

I have just done that. Give a bad review to Viber.

I had to factory reset my device and after a gap of about 1 week I downloaded Viber fresh and then registered with my RW number and activation completed with no need to contact Viber support. It looks like they may have adjusted their activation process to improve this previous issue.

Was your Republic number previously registered with Viber?

1 Like

Yes I was previously registered with Viber

Then, I’m afraid this is not necessarily a matter of Viber having changed its policy. One would need to successfully register a Republic number not previously registered with Viber to determine that.

1 Like

I am adding this response for those who search the forum for Viber.

I tried adding Viber to my Republic Wireless phone (first time in March 2019) and fell into the trap you mentioned about it being a VoIP number.

I followed the steps you outlined and opened the support ticket with the SIM info and screenshot of VoIP message.

The ticket response sums up to this: Our policy is to not allow any VoIP numbers. Existing customers will continue to be able to use Viber. The rest can go away.

So, forget it. The people behind Viber dont seem to care about Republic Wireless (or those other phone companies that may utilize something that shows up as VoIP)…

Save the stress-- delete the app.

1 Like

Hi @randyp.3s5xdu,

For what it’s worth, I share your sentiment regarding simply moving away from Viber in favor of alternatives. Rebtel might be an option worth looking at in that regard.

The above said, the workaround I came up with only works if one uses the method to convince Viber that Republic numbers aren’t VoIP. In other words, one is trying to bamboozle Viber. Mentioning VoIP in any way, shape or form to the folks at Viber will fail.

1 Like

After transferring my number to my new RW phone, I tried to install Viber. Then came craps from Viber about not being able to send SMS to my phone. I followed some of the advices listed in this forum and contacted Viber. They literally made me run around a circle, telling me that the number is already activated, asking me to reply if I still have problems. Of course, the problem was still there. When I replied to the email, I got a response that the ticket had been closed. I submitted a new ticket, and the same sequence happened over and over again. Yes, IT IS NOT WORTH IT. :woozy_face::woozy_face:

Viber is not cooperating with me to set up my RW number.

Here is a workaround:
Every RW phone number has an underlying T-mobile number associated with it. (It’s good to know that and add it to Do No Call lists to eliminate spam calls.)
If you don’t know the number (and you probably don’t) you can open your phone into testing mode.

Go to the phone (keypad) and type *#*#4636#*#* - and on some phones it will enter you into testing mode. Go to the Phone section and you will see a number. That is the “other number”. If you don’t enter testing mode, chat with RW. Some advisers will give you the number. Others won’t. Keep going until you get the number. (The DNC list explanation usually gets them to help you.)

Download the Viber app.
Turn off WIFI (the other number is sometimes blocked when wifi is on)
Register the “other number”.

Voila!
It worked twice for me today.

1 Like

Hi @rando and welcome to the Community!

There is no need to contact an RW “advisor”. Information on how to find various Republic phone’s secondary number has been readily available in the Community for years:

The bit of social engineering I used to create the original post in this thread is what worked for me and, at least for a time, others.

Unfortunately this won’t generally work. The underlying number doesn’t accept texts on newer devices. In addition the number is subject to change at any time,

Yes, Texting doesn’t work. But they do call as well. That’s why you need to turn off WIFI, so that the call isn’t blocked transitioning to WIFI.

We’ll see how long the number lasts.

We have a Motto G 3rd generation phone and have tried to install and use Viber application from the PlayStore. The application installs but it does not take us to the application to use it. Just to general directions. It says to click on the Person Icon to activate and be able to use it, but we do not see that and cannot make it work.

Any input is welcomed.

The majority of us have not been able to stretch our Legacy phones this long, so I can say if there have been any luck installing Viber app, but from a recent TiPs & Tricks by @RolandH it appears that they have put additional roadblock in place.
As you await a direct response to your question you may want to review this.

1 Like

Got my new Moto g Power, 2 days ago - 14th August 2020, love it.

Everything went well until I tried to transfer my Viber app, they no longer take Voip phone numbers. Opened a ticket with them and followed advice from previous member community board - @rolandh here 2 years old btw, sent them screenshots of the error message and sim card details using the ‘whatsinsim’ app as advised. They said they had no record of me trying to register my new phone, I sent more information and nothing for more than 24 hours from them. In the meantime they have deactivated my Viber on my old phone, all my chats with my family are gone.

From studying other forums on our RW community about the Viber issue I also:

• Told them RW was my phone carrier
  • I told them that I am not spam
  • I directly requested that they whitelist my number.

2 days later I finally received a reply to my ticket stating that “We hav e proceeded with some changes from our side.” Yes, their reply had a typo :slight_smile:
I finished activating my new RW phone, I proceeded past the error message on Viber completing the final prompts, and voila! I have Viber installed on my new phone and all of my chats, and history is restored, I just have to be invited back into some group chats.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue. So make sure you send the error message about your phone being a Voip number, and also send the screenshot of your sim card details.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer