Gift my phone to my son and port his cell number to the gift phone

I want to get a new phone and give my son my old phone. Can I leave my sim card in my phone and port his number to the gift phone. Or do I need to buy a new sim card?

Hi @michaels.ykbvuu,

Before we begin to answer this question, we’d need to know what the phones in question are, because the answer varies by phone.

Is his cell number currently with Republic, or elsewhere?

3 Likes

I have a moto z4 (currently with RW) and want to give it to my son and port his current # to it, which is not with RW. The port my number check, said it was good to bring over. I will get a new phone and keep my number. I believe I need a new sim for my new phone. Will I need a new sim for the z4 or can it keep my current sim and just port the number?

The Moto Z4 accommodates a Nano sized SIM, That is the smallest breakout (it can’t be made larger) but if your new phone also uses the Nano size the easiest way to transfer your phone to your son would be to move the SIM from your Z4 to your new phone. Your new phone will also need the Republic app, Then you would factory rest your old phone, equip it with a new SIM, and activate it in your sons account,

FWIW I recommend setting up one’s children in their own account, perhaps with the parent’s charge card. When the kid is on his/her own it is a simple matter of replacing the parent’s card with the child’s card.

1 Like

Hi @michaels.ykbvuu,

It looks like @billg’s answer has you covered. The one thing he didn’t mention is that only our GSM SIM cards can be moved from one phone to another, so you’ll want to be sure your Moto Z4’s SIM card is a GSM SIM card before you try to move it to the new phone:

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Are CDMA SIMs being discontinued soon?

Thank you for the help! Quick response and clarity, much appreciated.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer