Go Far, Stay Close - The Story of Our Latest Product, Relay

Originally published at: https://pwk.republicwireless.com/relay/

We have something totally new to announce today, and if you don’t read the rest of this post, we want you to know this: We’ve designed and built a new product, but it’s not a smartphone. It’s a LTE & WiFi powered walkie-talkie that’s portable, durable and screen-free – designed to keep families connected. We think you are going to love it, and we think your kids will love it too. Just watch… I had no idea you guys were working on this! Yeah? We’re good at keeping a secret I guess, but we’ve been working on this one for…

Interesting idea.
Would be great if it can communicate with cell phone (a la zello) so parents don’t need a second device.
Would be great to be able to see where are the devices on a map, so you don’t have to ask “Where are you”, you can just see where your child is on a map (a la familo.net) with a list of family locations “home” “school” “chruch” “work”.
Make sure there is a mute button. even better, auto mute based on location and schedule (mute during school hours)
Would be great if it can be used as a presence tag with smart things.

Hi @ngufra

There will be a companion app that runs on Android or iOS… The app will let you communicate to the device using your smart phone.

Details about whether the companion app show location without being asked have not been released yet.

“NFC contact sharing” is among Relay’s specs. Can anyone who gets his NFC-enabled smartphone within five inches of a Relay exchange contact info with it? What parental control over contacts is possible?

Exactly how all this will work hasn’t been revealed (and if I had to guess even decided).

Would be interesting if bluetooth was included on a similar product or on the relay.
Allow me to explain. For several parents with children with Type-1 diabetes, their blood sugar is monitored via an app. Most of those kids currently carry around a phone so that the phone can communicate with the monitor and relay the information to the parents.

It doesn’t make a ton of sense for a 5-year-old to have a full-feature smartphone. However, if this could communicate with the monitor(via bluetooth) and then upload the small amount of data via a data connection, this might become the default device for many kids with diabetes and similar monitored diseases.

While they currently have a full app on the kid-carried phone, I don’t know that it is necessary. We are talking about a fairly light-weight portal.

Just a thought Republic. Be the heroes!!

Republic should team with Amusement Parks, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, schools etc. to lease these to groups during outings. Smartphones get lost or damaged, and wear out too quickly. But this is ideal for teams / groups to stay in touch without the hassles. Especially if group leaders can monitor GPS of multiple Relays, then field trips just got a lot safer and better coordinated. Put a lanyard on it, wear it on your neck, etc.

Relay sounds like a great start, but I am not sure it goes far enough. My husband is legally-blind and had his arm amputated a few months ago. He has not been able to master using his Republic Wireless smart phone with one hand. He wants me to switch him back to Verizon Wireless and an iPhone. I have no choice but to do it. Relay sounds like it is almost what he needs. If he could use Relay and call any cell phone number in his contacts from Relay, that is all he would need. It would also be more rugged and easier for him to use with one hand.

Notable Newbies: Welcome!