Going abroad soon

Hi! I am going abroad soon and I want to take my Moto to use as a camera. I don’t have a data plan, so will I have any extra charges for taking my phone out of country?

There are never any “extra” charges with your Republic phone. If it can do it, you’ve already paid for it.

There will be no cell service anywhere outside US. You will have the same service on wifi, as you do at home. Meaning, you can call/text the US/Canada, but not local numbers. There will be no usable emergency calling while there. (If you made an emergency call it would be routed over wifi to a US dispatch center based on your e911 address).

I recommend that once there you put your phone in airplane mode and then manually turn wifi back on. This will keep your phone from searching for a cell signal it will never find (and very rapidly draining your battery), but still allow you to use the only capabilities that will work there.

If you’re using one of the newer phones (not the Moto X1, X2, G1, G3, E1 or E2) you can also obtain a local SIM card, and place it in your phone for use while abroad. There is some great information from @rolandh here: International Travel with a Republic Phone

Thank you! This was incredibly helpful, I really appreciate you taking the time to so thoroughly answer my question.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.