(Google Android) Messages: Group Messages Sent Individually -- Here's the fix!

A recent update to (Android) Messages appears to have reset a setting for many folks that causes group messages to go out as multiple SMS messages rather than as one MMS. You may see the error message: “This Conversation is now a mass text. Each recipient will get an SMS message from you. Replies will appear in individual conversations.”

The fix for this issue is easy:

1. Open Messages
  2. Click the three stacked dots on the top right (on the main page where all conversations are shown)
  3. Select Settings, then Advanced
  4. The top item in the Advanced menu is the Group Message behavior. Tap it and change it to “Send an MMS reply to all recipients (group MMS)”.

Problem solved.

Mms switching to individual SMS messages
Group texting not working
Group Messages: Choose SMS reply (mass text) or MMS reply (group MMS)?
MMS issues after downloading the update
This Conversation is now a mass text Each recipient will get a n SMS message from you Replies will appear
When I answer a group text, it doesn't go to everyone in the text
My new Moto G6 won't send pics or videos MMS, it sends texts just fine SMS
No more group text capability; messages dashboard different than ever before
Group Text solution not working on Moto X Gen 1 Andriod 5.1
How do i stop mms group messaging from giving me individual replies on Moto G5 plus phone
My phone does not work
MMS Group Messages Moto g5plus
How to perform the most basic functions on Android 7.0
Moto g6 MMS group messaging
Group text not working on my new phone
Need to download group texts and pictures while on wifi

This was super helpful, thank you!

I’m getting the same error, however I don’t have a Setting > Advanced in my chat. See picture. How do I fix this?!

you don’t do this in a conversation but at the root page (where all conversation threads are listed

Thanks. I figured it out, anyway.

Awesome. Clear, concise, effective answers are why I choose Republic.

Sweet! Simple. Thank you!

Unfortunately the solution is not working for me. I have a Moto X 1st Gen, Andriod 5.1 with all system updates. I did the steps as described in the RW solution email that was sent out (same as what you noted) but it did not resolve the issue for me. The rest of my family has newer phones (Moto X Pure and G4) and the solution did work for them.

Ok, so can you describe what you mean by “did not resolve the issue for me.” Are you still getting the warning when attempting to send a group text? Are texts failing to send? Were the steps not able to be completed?

Hey again. Sorry to bounce back an forth between threads.

I have never been received those warning about group text, but the rest of my family was. Again think it is related to the age of phone / version of OS. I have changed the Group Text setting, so yes it “takes” but when I send out the group text it is received as a 1::1 text. When I receive at group text it comes in as 1::1 text. My family and I were doing texting of it over last weekend and that is when it became clear that I was the only one that was still having the issue.

For those looking for help when this solution doesn’t work, I strongly recommend opening a new community thread rather than responding here. You’re more likely to get a rapid response.

@louisdi Thanks for you help! To close the loop on my post here, this is the thread with the solution:

Thank you for the advice.
Worked perfectly for me.