Google Assistant: coming to a phone near you

See this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2017/02/26/google-assistant-is-coming-to-all-android-phones-running-marshmallow-or-later/amp/. I would love to hear from Pixel owners about this. Do you like it? Also, how does your home screen work? Currently, I can swipe left and see Google now cards, but I believe that may be going away soon?!?

1 Like

My kids have it on their Pixel phones and after playing with it a bit I am anxious to see it coming to my Nexus 6P. It seems much smoother and more polished than the standard Google Voice. Not necessarily revolutionary but a nice evolutionary improvement in my opinion.

1 Like

Has anyone, not on a Pixel, had an assistant sighting?

I got it on my s7. Don’t care for it. Unfortunately I’m stuck with it, no way to go back…

scotto wrote:

I got it on my s7. Don’t care for it. Unfortunately I’m stuck with it, no way to go back…

How did the update come? As a full Android OS update? Or a separate update specifically just for Google Assistant? My Nexus 6P is running Android 7.1.1 and it received an Android security update the other day, but that didn’t contain Google Assistant.

It just showed up on my phone. I used to hold the home button, and Google would show up and let me read my updates or selected news. Read them. Now I long push and assistant pops up and asks “what can I help you with?” I must talk to it, or type on it. Guess I’m getting old, I don’t like the change. Maybe Google will give me a refund on the fees I pay them…

I just got it on my Nexus 6p. I didn’t get an update, it just popped up.

I now have Google Assistant on my Moto X Pure Edition (Architecture: arm64 + arm) by holding the “Home” button for a few seconds. I’m not sure if this made any difference, but I did install the Google Play Services Beta (Google Play services 10.2.98). Google Play services 10.5.37 beta is the current APK (Architecture: arm64 + arm)!:

Google Play services - Android Apps on Google Play

Google Play Services Public Beta Program | Google APIs for Android | Google Developers

Also, I was able to upgrade by Moto XPE to the latest software by pulling by Republic Wireless SIM Card. It did two software upgrade while on WiFi (no SIM install) in order to get to the current build (Build Number: MPHS24.49-18-16). It would not do any update without pulling the SIM, even though it was two builds behind.

It just showed up on my Nexus 6P as well. Didn’t even see it until I held the HOME button down for a couple of seconds and then it popped up with a tutorial.

If you have Google Assistant, here’s something fun to try: Say “Ok Google, I’m Feeling Lucky” and see what happens.

1 Like

LOL, that was fun. I was terrible, by the way. I have to read up.

Fun things to do with Google Assistant:

“Ok Google, I’m feeling lucky”

“Ok Google, set phasers to kill”

“Ok Google, Crystal Ball”

“Ok Google, Mad Libs”

1 Like

It showed up on my MX Pure this AM … I had previously updated Google Play Services as mentioned by @davesin but didn’t go beyond that

And yes I scored 4/5 …who would have thought the Queen was taller

I just hope Google doesn’t try to push all those annoying cards on me again.

I just manually updated and see GA on my phone, but none of the OK Google stuff works, just normal search results. I do have my home button configured to ‘sleep’ my phone, so maybe that has something to do with it.

c1tobor wrote:

I just manually updated and see GA on my phone, but none of the OK Google stuff works, just normal search results. I do have my home button configured to ‘sleep’ my phone, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I didn’t notice GA on my phone until I happened to press and hold the HOME button and it showed that GA was present and wanted to take me through a tutorial. I canceled out, thinking that I didn’t need the tutorial, and tried the “OK Google, I’m feeling lucky” and it just took me to a Google “I’m feeling lucky” webpage, like before. I held the HOME button again and went through the tutorial, tried it again, and it worked. It seemed to require completion of the tutorial before it would actually let me use GA. Although a reboot might have done the same thing…

1 Like

The tutorial suggestion seemed to work, thanks, @fisher99 …now I can’t get my home button to ‘sleep’ my phone anymore… ,.

Message an
Expert customer