Google Drive/Photos users may want to read this

I am not exactly sure what they are saying will stop working…

Starting in July, new photos and videos from Drive won’t automatically show in Photos. Similarly, new photos and videos in Photos will not be added to the Photos folder in Drive. Photos and videos you delete in Drive will not be removed from Photos. Similarly, items you delete in Photos will not be removed from Drive. This change is designed to help prevent accidental deletion of items across products."

From here: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/12/google-drive-photos-sync/

I, and I have setup for my elderly parents, Google’s Back Up and Sync (used to be Google Drive named software). It is set to download the Google Photos folder that is in the Google Drive to the users computer so they can pull off their photos and videos. it is simple, easy, straight forward for the average person. Take a picture, after a min or 2, open the folder on the computer and its there…

I guess Google thinks this is too confusing and is removing the option to use the desktop software to download or “sync” the Google Photos as part of Google Drive.
That is really gonna foul up many folks. I do not want to switch to Dropbox or OneDrive…or else, it implies the only option to get your Photos on to your PC is to go to the web page and manually download them.

Android Central has a write up that is fairly clear:

Ok…so they say that the Backup and Sync software will still pull the google photos or will it?
“It is worth noting that you’ll still be able to sync photos to both Photos and Drive — but only with the Google Backup & Sync tool.”

but they also say " * Starting in July, Google Photos will not automatically sync to Google Drive."

The Photos folder is IN the Google Drive folder…so I am still confused weather or not things will still work.

As for me, I seems to be that it will stop working. I use Open Source Drive which is a plum basic raw Google Drive sync program for Linux. That is on my NAS and is where I access my G Drive and Google Photo files with to pull off and archive every month. The Photos have to be in Google Drive for it to pull them. There is no official Google Drive or Photos or Backup and Sync for Linux.

Message an
Expert customer