Google keeps adding a number that's not mine for verification! Have I been hacked?!

I noticed a number I didn’t know kept adding itself to my verification settings in google I ran a scan using a hidden Android diagnostic and got the following a number hidden in my system. [screenshot redacted to protect privacy]

Hi @tom4342,

The number you see in the screenshot is not indicative of a hack. Rather, it’s part of Republic’s unique and patented blended WiFi/cell service and is used by Republic to route calls to your phone when out, about and away from WiFi. More info here:

Is the number “adding itself to my verification settings in Google” the same number as seen in your screenshot?

Also, as Community is a public Internet forum and to protect your privacy, I’m going to redact the screenshot you’ve shared.

Just never saw it before I kept getting security noticed from google with this number

Hi @tom4342,

Understood and why I wanted to reassure you the number you saw in the now redacted screenshot is not an issue.

It remains unclear to me what you mean by this. Where are you seeing security notices from Google and is it the same number as shown in the redacted screenshot?

I will get a notification that this number was added as a recovery number if I forget my login information.

Please do the following:

1. Open the Messages App
  2. Touch the three dots on the top right
  3. Touch Settings
  4. Touch Chat Features
  5. Turn OFF “Enable Chat Features”

I’ve done that now thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer