Google Partners with Republic Wireless for Orion WiFi Service

Here is a screenshot of the total penetration (worldwide) by Android OS that is available for Republic Wireless 3.0 phones

Data source

1 Like

I’m not sure this applies as many of Republic’s phone models have been upgraded. For example: Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 4a, Samsung S10, Samsung S10+, Samsung S20, Samsung S20+, Samsung S20 Ultra, Samsung Note 10, Samsung Note 10+, Samsung Note 9, Samsung Note 20, Samsung Note 20 Ultra, Moto G Fast, Moto G Stylus, Moto G Power, Moto G7, Moto G7 Power, Moto G7 Play, Moto Z4, Samsung Galaxy A11, Samsung Galaxy A21, Samsung Galaxy A51, OnePLus 6T, OnePlus 7T.

That’s off the top of my head, others may also be updated. I’d be willing to bet that the percent of Republic customers with one of those phones is higher than the Android 10 representation in the chart above.

2 Likes

I would like to participate in the Orion beta test.

See Call for Early Adopter Beta Testers: Orion WiFi for requirements and instructions on applying.

2 Likes

This is ■■■■.
From the looks of it, the goal is to stop places from offering free wifi and instead make it so WiFi networks require a payment before connecting.
So Republic is paying google to be a part of this Orion program? And some of that money goes to the places offering participating WiFi networks?

I can’t believe Republic is supporting this.

This seems like an interesting way to censor some people. Imagine a concert where only Verizon customers are able to post photos for free. Or a grocery store where only ATT customers can access coupons on their phones.

The future ■■■■■.

I read it more as places that would normally charge you for wifi or require you to provide personal info now give you free wifi because republic has paid for it already as part of your republic service

1 Like

You’re completely misreading the situation. The goal is to get business that otherwise wouldn’t have any public access to their commercial grade wifi network to allow some access both by offering them a way to do it safely, using their existing hardware and software, and to compensate them for doing so.

We don’t know the arrangement during the beta, but yes, that’s the model of the offering. This isn’t unusual. Republic paid for the last Wifi network they offered. If a company offers access to the Boingo network, they pay Boingo for that. That’s kinda the way things work.

Correct

I can. As a provider that offers metered plans the ability to offer people a way to connect to wifi more often while out and about fits the Republic model perfectly.

You need to recheck the definition of censor.

First of all, people could use their data instead. Second of all, these exist. Have you not run in to the Xfinity hotspots that are available only to Xfinity customers? Or Boingo? Or FiOS? Or Netspot?

This isn’t some nefarious new invention. It is a Google effort to make wifi networks that are currently unavailable to the public available in a way that compensates the network owner and assures quality.

3 Likes

this sounds interesting. I am definitely one who is always looking for WiFi when out and about, especially since I am a Republic Wireless member. :slight_smile: I live on Long Island and we have a large WiFi hotspot provider here in Optimum (actually now “altice”). Yet often I still cannot get WiFi when in stores, etc.
So the venue would be getting paid by the cellular carriers? is that accurate? or Google is getting paid? not totally sure I grasped how that part of it works… then the WiFi at said venue becomes available to me as a Republic member? or it’s just available to everyone?

Formerly known as Cablevision. Go Channel 12.

As I understand it, Orion pays the business for being part of the network and then the company offering access (such as Republic) pays Orion.

It becomes available to whomever has access to the Orion service. We don’t know who else is working with Google or under what other models Google might be selling the service. It is NOT public access.

2 Likes

ha! @louisdi you know Channel 12?!? yeah I preferred before the sale to Altice, but what can you do.

ok, that provides clarity, thanks. so i guess we would have Orion by being Republic? or we would choose yay or nay…

1 Like

That isn’t clear yet. As a beta customer, you’ll get access to Orion. Once the product exits beta we don’t know what the model will be yet. (Partially because Google doesn’t know what the model will be).

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Feature is enabled… and some trivia

Message an
Expert customer