Google Pixel 3A XL Phone Froze / screen black

What phone do you have?
Google Pixel 3A XL

What plan are you on?
My Choice + 1 GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Yes

Issue Description

My phone was charging on my desk, plugged into the adapter. When I last looked at it, it was 85%. Then later I looked over and it looked frozen on the lock screen – the time was 10 minutes behind. Pressing the power button would not unlock it. So I held down the power button, and the screen went black. I cannot get it to turn back on.

I tried pressing the power button for 30 seconds – even longer – and no response. I held down the power button and the volume down button for 15 seconds and longer – no response. I tried plugging it back in, doing the same, and no response.

Am I dead?

Hi @sdwebguy,

Candidly, maybe. It’s unclear what longer than 30 seconds might have been but please hold down the power button only for up to two minutes releasing it before that only if the screen reacts or the phone vibrates. Any luck?

1 Like

@rolandh 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 8 minutes. No change.

As a followup, since I can’t get my phone to come back on, I called a phone repair place and they were up front about it – they suspect it was a battery issue (after only 18 months of using the phone!!) and in order to get to the battery they would need to get past the screen and they would most likely break the screen. So for a hundred dollars more I should just buy the Pixel 4a. And I cant trade in my 3a to get a credit because I can’t turn it on. So AWESOME.

Hi @sdwebguy,

Any chance you bought the phone with a credit card that adds additional time to manufacturer’s warranties as one of its perks?

@southpaw WOW-- I had no idea if my card had this, but they do! I filed a claim with them and may get some of the original purchase price reimbursed. Thanks for the GREAT tip!

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer